From: Rob on

> Like them trying to upsell you gold priced monster A/V cables when you buy
> something expensive from the A/V section.

But they look good.
From: Clocky on
Rob wrote:
>> Like them trying to upsell you gold priced monster A/V cables when
>> you buy something expensive from the A/V section.
>>

> But they look good.

That's subjective. Personally I would rather not see any cables at all ;-)

From: terryc on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 00:44:37 +1100, ^Tems^ wrote:

> Once went to a photography club meet up and one of the girls said she
> had no idea about back up drives and a guy was started talking all
> technical to her and using big terms saying NO external drive WILL fail
> so I said I have had two fail he said what brand I told him and he
> said oh yeh well that's what you get they are known for faults I said
> didn't you just say NO new drive will fail, he went quiet then finished
> up with "I am a microsoft certified technician'

does that mean he can repair MS mice and keyboards?
(do they make/brand anything else?)
Or that he can "fix"(= reinstall) their software?
From: idgat on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 00:44:37 +1100, ^Tems^ <stevebrooks13(a)live.com>
wrote:

>someone that talked themselves up about knowing so much about computers
>would NEVER buy at Harvey Norman

And that's not HN's target demographic, because their salespeople are
just that - salespeople, and not IT competent.

The target demographic of HN are the plain and simple electrical
appliance purchasers, whether it be a 'fridge, washing machine,
dishwasher, electric shaver or computer - it makes no difference to
them.

And just like selling any other electrical appliance, if they can talk
you up a model level, or add on extras like software in the case of
computers, that's their $ sales line up. Who gives a stuff what's been
said ... except the customer a couple of weeks later, when it's too
late,

And that's one reason I don't go into HN - simply because I find it so
hard to hold my tongue, and not butt in and tell some sales-oik
talking to a potential computer customer that what's just been said is
total and utter bullshit, and warn the customer to go somewhere else!!
It's just so irrestible to do it!
--
idgat
Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.
From: Rod Speed on
idgat wrote
> ^Tems^ <stevebrooks13(a)live.com> wrote

>> someone that talked themselves up about knowing so much
>> about computers would NEVER buy at Harvey Norman

> And that's not HN's target demographic, because their
> salespeople are just that - salespeople, and not IT competent.

Some of them are.

> The target demographic of HN are the plain and simple electrical
> appliance purchasers, whether it be a 'fridge, washing machine,
> dishwasher, electric shaver or computer - it makes no difference to
> them.

> And just like selling any other electrical appliance, if they can talk
> you up a model level, or add on extras like software in the case of
> computers, that's their $ sales line up. Who gives a stuff what's been
> said ... except the customer a couple of weeks later, when it's too late,

No one has ever tried to talk me up with electrical appliances.

> And that's one reason I don't go into HN - simply because I find it so
> hard to hold my tongue, and not butt in and tell some sales-oik
> talking to a potential computer customer that what's just been said is
> total and utter bullshit, and warn the customer to go somewhere else!!
> It's just so irrestible to do it!

You get that with any operation flogging anything. Hardly any of them
can afford to pay enough to get sales apes who know what they are doing.