From: Al Dykes on
Cheap.

http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=F2D200&Category_Code=F2D&Store_Code=T00107

For the price, my requirements and expectations are not high. "Good
enough for Flickr" and reasonably fast would be fine. Getting my
slides and negs online would allow me to make a story around them and
pick any that deserve better scanning.

--
Al Dykes

From: Nigel Feltham on
Al Dykes wrote:

> Cheap.

http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=F2D200&Category_Code=F2D&Store_Code=T00107

> For the price, my requirements and expectations are not high. "Good
> enough for Flickr" and reasonably fast would be fine. Getting my
> slides and negs online would allow me to make a story around them and
> pick any that deserve better scanning.

I'm surprised Advertising standards organisations let these companies get
away with some of their misleading advertising for these things - for a
start how can they get away with calling them scanners when they don't do
any scanning, they're just a cheap 5m pixel camera and diffused LED light
with a film holder in between. Guess this one's a bit more honest than some
by calling it an image converter instead.

The 5m pixels claim is also a bit dubious given that the resolution shown in
the specs of 2520 x 1680 pixels is only 4.2m pixels (I find the quoted scan
method of 'Single pass' amusing when it doesn't do any passes just
photographs it). Being a camera rather than a scanner you also get the same
beyer filter artifacts you get on digital cameras that wouldn't be there
with a scanner that would give full resolution for all RGB pixels.

The results are little better than using the Macro feature on a digital
camera to photograph your slides against a well lit white wall (or often
worse if comparing the results to a decent brand of camera with quality
glass lenses).
From: Barry Watzman on
An issue you did not mention is that these have cheap plastic lenses and
the optics are not capable of capturing even the low resolution detail
of the not-very-good low resolution sensors.

From: Nigel Feltham on
Barry Watzman wrote:

> An issue you did not mention is that these have cheap plastic lenses and
> the optics are not capable of capturing even the low resolution detail
> of the not-very-good low resolution sensors.

I'm not so sure of that one - most claim (including the one the original
poster linked to) they have 4 element glass lenses now unless this is a lie
as well which wouldn't surprise me.

Sad thing is that a lot of people are buying them as there's no other easily
available low priced option - most flatbeds with film adaptors cost more,
and the older used dedicated film scanners that are available in this price
range need SCSI cards that people are reluctant to install (sadly as we both
know how good the old Nikon LS-30/LS-2000's are).

I've had an example of this at work last week - another member of my dept
has been given the job of scanning a couple of boxes of his father's slides
in, he's not going to spend �100+ on hardware to scan films for someone
else, is unable to lend me the slides for me to do on my Nikon and won't fit
a SCSI card for me to lend him a scanner (I have 1 each of LS-1000, LS-30
and LS-2000 models as well as a Canon FS-2700 so could lend him any except
the LS-2000 as I use that most).

He was close to buying one of these cheap 'scanners' on ebay until I
recommended reading the reviews (knowing he'd not listen to my advice not to
buy it but would believe all the negative reviews online).

At the moment he's experimenting over the weekend with an old 1200dpi
flatbed with one of the old reflector type slide adaptors to see if he can
get good enough results without any spending (and I've pointed out a couple
of older 1800dpi true scanners from primefilm that may do the trick but
recommended not paying more than 20ukpounds for one as there's always
another one coming up to bid on). He only wants scans that his dad can view
on an old laptop screen so low res scans may be good enough but not the
clipped highlights you get with these 5m camera based toys.

From: Barry Watzman on
Well, we both know what the "right" solutions are. But the "right"
solutions have drawbacks that most people think are unacceptable
(although in some cases the reality is that they are not really that big
an issue, e.g. getting a SCSI card for $10 and installing it).

That said, you can't judge ANY scanning solution by printed specs of the
scanner. My main document scanner is an HP 5470C/5490C. It is great,
fantastic, "there is no better flatbed document scanner" product. I
sing it's praises from the highest hilltop.

And it has an XPA (transparency adapter) and it can scan slides and
negatives at 2,400 dpi (true, real hardware resolution).

And it's scans of slides and negatives just plain SUCKS.

Do your friend a favor: Take one of his slides or negatives, do a top
quality scan on a Nikon LS-2000 scanner with Digital ICE at full resolution.

Let HIM compare his scan of the same slide on any other hardware that he
is considering to the Nikon. That will be the end of the argument.