From: Jethro Pull on
I have the Coolscan 5000 and love it! Built a new computer with Win7 64
bit, ASUS P6T motherboard, and an Intel Core I7 processor (sorry for
bragging). The reinstall of drivers and apps was an "interesting" ordeal
and might even comprise a separate chapter in my autobiography. :-)

Anyway, I can't find my Nikon software disc that has that wonderful ICE
capability however, I'm using VueScan which allowed me to use my Nikon.
Does anyone know where I can dl the Nikon Scanning App that has ICE? I
really like VueScan but I'm not sure how it's going to perform when I
start to scan all those old dusty slides in my closet.

Thanks.

From: Alan Wrigley on
Jethro Pull <jpull(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can dl the Nikon Scanning App that has ICE? I
> really like VueScan but I'm not sure how it's going to perform when I
> start to scan all those old dusty slides in my closet.

VueScan has a perfectly good dust removal option which does a very good job
on most makes of film. It doesn't work with Kodachrome but then neither does
ICE.

Alan
From: David on

"Jethro Pull" <jpull(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have the Coolscan 5000 and love it! Built a new computer
> with Win7 64 bit, ASUS P6T motherboard, and an Intel Core
> I7 processor (sorry for bragging). The reinstall of
> drivers and apps was an "interesting" ordeal and might
> even comprise a separate chapter in my autobiography. :-)
>
> Anyway, I can't find my Nikon software disc that has that
> wonderful ICE capability however, I'm using VueScan which
> allowed me to use my Nikon. Does anyone know where I can
> dl the Nikon Scanning App that has ICE? I really like
> VueScan but I'm not sure how it's going to perform when I
> start to scan all those old dusty slides in my closet.
>
> Thanks.
(snip)

You can get the original Nikon-scan software on their Web
site, but they do not plan to support any 64 bit OS and
recommend using third party software like VuScan instead. If
you have a version of Win7 that supports virtual XP mode,
you can run the Nikon software within XP mode. I personally
think Nikon should at least spend a little money to release
a 64 bit version of their software rather just abandon their
user base.

David

From: Jethro Pull on
Amen, brother.

I find that, after turning on the CoolScan 5000 and left clicking on the
Filter tab, an option called InfraRed Cleaning is available. Ed Hamrick
had answered this question long time ago in an E-mail where he stated
that this option was, in his opinion, better than ICE ... so there we
have it ... we don't need Nikon for this anymore.

I couldn't find any E-mails to help my faulty memory. :-)

Thanks for your help.

From: Randy Lane on
On Apr 28, 8:35 am, Jethro Pull <jp...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Amen, brother.
>
> I find that, after turning on the CoolScan 5000 and left clicking on the
> Filter tab, an option called InfraRed Cleaning is available. Ed Hamrick
> had answered this question long time ago in an E-mail where he stated
> that this option was, in his opinion, better than ICE ... so there we
> have it ... we don't need Nikon for this anymore.
>
> I couldn't find any E-mails to help my faulty memory. :-)
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> On 4/28/2010 11:31 AM, David wrote:
>

> > "Jethro Pull" <jp...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have the Coolscan 5000 and love it! Built a new computer with Win7
> >> 64 bit, ASUS P6T motherboard, and an Intel Core I7 processor (sorry
> >> for bragging). The reinstall of drivers and apps was an "interesting"
> >> ordeal and might even comprise a separate chapter in my
> >> autobiography. :-)
>
> >> Anyway, I can't find my Nikon software disc that has that wonderful
> >> ICE capability however, I'm using VueScan which allowed me to use my
> >> Nikon. Does anyone know where I can dl the Nikon Scanning App that
> >> has ICE? I really like VueScan but I'm not sure how it's going to
> >> perform when I start to scan all those old dusty slides in my closet.
>
> >> Thanks.
> > (snip)
>
> > You can get the original Nikon-scan software on their Web site, but
> > they do not plan to support any 64 bit OS and recommend using third
> > party software like VuScan instead. If you have a version of Win7 that
> > supports virtual XP mode, you can run the Nikon software within XP
> > mode. I personally think Nikon should at least spend a little money to
> > release a 64 bit version of their software rather just abandon their
> > user base.
>
> > David- Hide quoted text -

VueScan makes far better use of the infrared data than ICE. ICE has
not been updated for several years (since Kodak bought the copyright I
beleive) whereas Ed has continually tweaked the VueScan code, and
continues to do so to this day. Just scan the release notes over the
years and notice the number of times "infrared cleaning" has been
"improved" or specifically made to work better with a particular
device. You won't get that from the overgrown Rochester N.Y. behemoth
that owns ICE now.

Interesting to me that LaserSoft (the company that markets SilverFast)
has now come out with an update that saves the raw scan data,
including the infrared layer, and then allows the user to process the
saved raw data and apply different corrections/tweaks without having
to rescan from the original source. Ed Hamrick has been touting
VueScan capability as the best and most productive methodology for
over 10 years (I used VueScan in this manner almost exclusively from
the day in the year 2000 I bought my first negative scanner, an HP S20
- piece of dogmeat IMHO BTW). I wonder if Ed copyrighted the
"methodology" and can sue LaserSoft for infringement.