From: Barry Watzman on
Digital ICE is not done in software it is done in hardware inside the
scanner itself. Although the software has to turn it on or off.
Digital ICE is fully supported by VueScan. And the Nikon software is
available for download from the Nikon web site.

From: Barry Watzman on
Not exactly correct. What would be more correct would be to say that
VueScan has the ability to turn on Digital ICE, which resides inside the
scanner itself, in HARDWARE, not the host software (but the host
software has to be able to turn it on and off).

From: David on

"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> Not exactly correct. What would be more correct would be
> to say that VueScan has the ability to turn on Digital
> ICE, which resides inside the scanner itself, in HARDWARE,
> not the host software (but the host software has to be
> able to turn it on and off).

My understanding is that if the ICE feature in enabled, the
scanner hardware delivers R, G, B and an Infrared view of
the image to the software. It is the software that uses the
IR information to fill in the dirt detected in that image
and compose the final image into whatever format selected
for output. The hardware does not automatically remove the
dirt from the image.

David

From: Randy Lane on
On Apr 28, 12:48 pm, "David" <some...(a)somewhere.com> wrote:
> > Alan Wrigley wrote:

> >> VueScan has a perfectly good dust removal option which
> >> does a very good job
> >> on most makes of film. It doesn't work with Kodachrome
> >> but then neither does
> >> ICE.
>
> >> Alan
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOS...(a)neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>
> news:hra2h2$o27$2(a)news.eternal-september.org...> Not exactly correct.  What would be more correct would be
> > to say that VueScan has the ability to turn on Digital
> > ICE, which resides inside the scanner itself, in HARDWARE,
> > not the host software (but the host software has to be
> > able to turn it on and off).
>
> My understanding is that if the ICE feature in enabled, the
> scanner hardware delivers R, G, B and an Infrared view of
> the image to the software. It is the software that uses the
> IR information to fill in the dirt detected in that image
> and compose the final image into whatever format selected
> for output. The hardware does not automatically remove the
> dirt from the image.
>
> David- Hide quoted text -

That's exactly right.
And it is that second step, using the infrared data to "correct" the
digital image, where I believe VueScan is far superior to the Nikon
software, or any other I've used.
I do not know whether that final stpe is performed by the NikonScan
software using an API from Kodak or using proprietary code develop by/
for Nikon, but I highly suspect it is from Kodak (or the prior owner,
I think it was named Computer Science).