From: Dale Fye on
Over the years, I've been really impressed with the way that the Access MVPs
and others seem to answer almost every post, or at least the ones where the
OP is engaged, and answers the questions posed by the newsgroup volunteers.
I've visited a lot of the other MS newsgroups, and would be willing to bet
that the response rate in the Access groups is among the highest.

However, lately, I've had a couple of posts which have not gotten a single
reply:

Trusted publisher / Digital Signature
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?&query=fye+publisher&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba&p=1&tid=3c263a94-5463-48b8-b68f-05856f1d2845&mid=3c263a94-5463-48b8-b68f-05856f1d2845).
With this one, I even reposted, and then sent an email to the Access Team
from their Blog site. Still no response.

and

A2007 Report not evaluation Where Condition
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?&query=fye+&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.access.reports&p=1&tid=72645444-424a-4376-bf7b-934229e00e46&mid=72645444-424a-4376-bf7b-934229e00e46).
I thought this might have to do with using SharePoint lists as my data
store, but I pulled all of the pertinent tables reports and forms into a
stand-alone application, and it still has this problem. Would be willing to
send a copy to anyone interested in taking a look.

So, the question of the day is: When you cannot get an answer, even from
some of the best Access developers in the world, where do you turn next? Do
you have to pay for technical assistance to get someone from Microsoft to
get an answer? Pay to join "Experts-Exchange" or one of the other web sites
that are basically fee-for-service? Or is there another option?

Dale

From: Banana on
Dale Fye wrote:
> So, the question of the day is: When you cannot get an answer, even from
> some of the best Access developers in the world, where do you turn next? Do
> you have to pay for technical assistance to get someone from Microsoft to
> get an answer? Pay to join "Experts-Exchange" or one of the other web sites
> that are basically fee-for-service? Or is there another option?
>
> Dale

Good question.

I would note that this newsgroups is just one of great resources
available; there are several other sites dedicated to all things Access
and you may want to try them. I know there are few MVPs who for whatever
reasons deign to not post in NGs (and vice versa as well) as well
several non-MVPs but otherwise quite knowledgeable posters.

Some sites to look at:

utteraccess.com
access-programmers.co.uk/forums/
www.mdbmakers.com/forums/
www.developerbarn.com/microsoft-access/

No fees are required and you usually have to register to post there.

You could try and post questions there and see if someone else who isn't
regular of NG provide an answer to the question.

There's also Experts Exchange but as you said, it's fee-based. I've
occasionally used the resources of EE (if you look below you will find
out that you really don't have to pay but you definitely will have to
pay if you want to post something over there).

Finally, I've had good luck just using Google. Sometime the topic isn't
about Access but rather Office so I just try to keep my queries broad
and look into different programs (e.g. Excel) that may have had more
occurances of the problem as discussed. There's practically always a
site somewhere that address a weird quirk and actually can be relevant.
A case in point: When I needed to create digital signatures that could
be shared among multiple developers without paying a CA, I was able to
piece information from three sites to create a self-signed certificate
that could be imported & installed on other computer and that worked
well for our needs, security risks not withstanding.

Hopefully one of those sites will help you out.
From: Wayne-I-M on
> However, lately, I've had a couple of posts which have not gotten a single
> reply:

This is normally as (simply) no one wants to answer that question, or they
haven't seen it, or they haven't got time, or .......

So have you "beaten the MVP's" = No, they just don't want to answer,
haven't seen it, don't have time,....etc

But also - I am not an expert or MVP by the way - the answer to your second
problem concerning the records not being filtered the 1st time each day seems
very simple - which is why (maybe, as I can't talk for the experts) they
didn't answer as it would be / ma be better if you worked it out yourself.

To start you off. Are you using an unbound form to apply the filte?? there
you go a BIG clue
There "are" work around you know. eg (just one BTW) why not create a single
record table and (on close of the form simply = null the controls/fields) you
don't need to be an MVP for that.

:-)

As for your 1st question sorry but don't have the time right now

:-)

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

From: Gina Whipp on
Dale,

Key is "...almost every post...". I would image a few slip thru the cracks,
no moving along...

I am willing to take a stab at question 1, which I did so now waiting in you
to reply. As for question 2, not sure I am knowledgeable enough about
Trusted Publishers and/or Digital Signatures BUT form what little I know
THOUGHT those applied to add-ons, macros, etc... Therefore the actual
databases must be placed in a Trusted Location. You really can't compare
Access 2003 and Access 2007 as they are two different animals though they
both have stripes.

Have a look at this and see if it can help you set up a Trusted Location
http://accessjunkie.com/faq_33.aspx

Perhaps, when/if someone has time they can direct you to a site that
explains it better then my meager attempt!

--
Gina Whipp

II

From: Jeanette Cunningham on
Hi Dale,
I have passed this question on to the MVPs.
Both questions are outside my area of expertise, but I am sure there will be
an MVP who can help.

"Dale Fye" <dale.fye(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> Over the years, I've been really impressed with the way that the Access
> MVPs and others seem to answer almost every post, or at least the ones
> where the OP is engaged, and answers the questions posed by the newsgroup
> volunteers. I've visited a lot of the other MS newsgroups, and would be
> willing to bet that the response rate in the Access groups is among the
> highest.
>
> However, lately, I've had a couple of posts which have not gotten a single
> reply:
>
> Trusted publisher / Digital Signature
> (http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?&query=fye+publisher&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba&p=1&tid=3c263a94-5463-48b8-b68f-05856f1d2845&mid=3c263a94-5463-48b8-b68f-05856f1d2845).
> With this one, I even reposted, and then sent an email to the Access Team
> from their Blog site. Still no response.
>
> and
>
> A2007 Report not evaluation Where Condition
> (http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?&query=fye+&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.access.reports&p=1&tid=72645444-424a-4376-bf7b-934229e00e46&mid=72645444-424a-4376-bf7b-934229e00e46).
> I thought this might have to do with using SharePoint lists as my data
> store, but I pulled all of the pertinent tables reports and forms into a
> stand-alone application, and it still has this problem. Would be willing
> to send a copy to anyone interested in taking a look.
>
> So, the question of the day is: When you cannot get an answer, even from
> some of the best Access developers in the world, where do you turn next?
> Do you have to pay for technical assistance to get someone from Microsoft
> to get an answer? Pay to join "Experts-Exchange" or one of the other web
> sites that are basically fee-for-service? Or is there another option?
>
> Dale
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: how to draw circle,