From: R. Mark Clayton on

"Andy Burns" <usenet.aug2009(a)adslpipe.co.uk> wrote in message
> Steve Terry wrote:
>
>> Three's bluefenced "three.co.uk" APN
>
> "bluefenced"?

Walled garden or something - Google up.

From: Steve Terry on
"R. Mark Clayton" <nospamclayton(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message
> "Andy Burns" <usenet.aug2009(a)adslpipe.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Steve Terry wrote:
>>
>>> Three's bluefenced "three.co.uk" APN
>>
>> "bluefenced"?
>
> Walled garden or something - Google up.

Yes, it's a garden walled APN only allowing family browsing,
(unless you prove you are over 18 to Three) with limited wap
services like the wap version of Yahoo instead of full web versions.

On the other hand Three's open "3internet" APN
has been unreliable, encouraging users to use public
APNs instead, but this year it seems as good as any.

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Theo Markettos on
Steve Terry <gfourwwk(a)tesco.net> wrote:
> Yes, it's a garden walled APN only allowing family browsing,
> (unless you prove you are over 18 to Three) with limited wap
> services like the wap version of Yahoo instead of full web versions.

Really? It's behind NAT, but I haven't seen anything blocked (and usually
such things are replete with false-positives). I've had unfiltered
internet, not that I've tried any 'adult' content.

And AFAIK they don't munge your browser requests and/or force you to use WAP
pages. If you're using a mobile browser the website might detect your
User-Agent and send you mobile-specific pages, but I've not had that happen
with a 'desktop' browser.

The advantage of APN three.co.uk is that you can access
http://mobile.three.co.uk/ to buy addons.

Theo
From: Andy Burns on
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> "Andy Burns"<usenet.aug2009(a)adslpipe.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Steve Terry wrote:
>>
>>> Three's bluefenced "three.co.uk" APN
>>
>> "bluefenced"?
>
> Walled garden or something - Google up.

Well yes, I know what a walled garden is, but I wondered why the term
"bluefenced", that's all ...

From: Dave Higton on
In message <z7idnbDAh6xOt6XRnZ2dnUVZ8kwAAAAA(a)brightview.co.uk>
Andy Burns <usenet.aug2009(a)adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:

> Well yes, I know what a walled garden is, but I wondered why the term
> "bluefenced", that's all ...

Yes, I had never heard the word until this thread.

Dave