From: Happy Oyster on
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:45:15 -0600, "John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid>
wrote:

>Eudora is perfect, and can not be enhanced :)

I wish, Eudora 1.5.4 were able to handle the newer usernames like

dummy(a)domain.com

It is only this minute problem, wchoch renders it "out of date". It is suc a
pity. It is much easier to handle that Eudora 7. A much better readbale screen.
No fuss...

>Besides, version 7.1 is the last one (of "Classic" Eudora);
>uniquely classic items such as this are irreplaceable, alas.

I had hoped, that the source code would be set "free", but - as far as I can see
- this did not happen.

Thunderbird and Penelope are far from being acceptable.

It is a shame.

..

--
Die volle H�rte: http://www.kindersprechstunde.at
Die Medienmafia � Die Regividerm-Verschw�rung
From: Froggie the Gremlin on
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:59:06 +0100, Happy Oyster <happy.oyster(a)ariplex.com>
wrotd:

>On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:54:16 -0400, Ajo Wissink <ajo(a)notrealaddress.com.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:21:26 +0100, Happy Oyster
>><happy.oyster(a)ariplex.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I had to install Eudora 7. The problem with this version is, that the headers of
>>>the incoming emails are wrecked. Eudora 1.5.4 STORED a very extensive part of
>>>the header, but Eudora 7 throws it away.
>>>
>>>The FULL header is a vital part of my emails. How can Eudora 7 be set up, so
>>>that it will keep the full header?
>>
>>The setting to have full headers displayed all the time is:
>>
>><X-Eudora-Option:ShowAllHeaders=1>
>>
>>Paste this line in a new message, click on it while holding the alt
>>key and click OK in the Change Option window that appeared.
>
>Hi, thanks.
>
>I tried it, but it works only in a very limited way. The tip with the
>"blah-bla"-button was good. It shows more details, but only for one single
>email.
>
>After having used the
>
> <X-Eudora-Option:ShowAllHeaders=1>
>
>I see more details, but not as much as the "blah-bla"-button unveils.
>
>How can we "enhance" that?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Aribert Deckers

Aribert, I don't know what you see but when I set the above option to 1, an
open msg shows the "Blah Blah" button permanently depressed, showing all
hdrs... same as if I manually depressed the button.

---<ribbit>

From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 17:36:03 -0600:

> I had hoped, that the source code would be set "free",
> but - as far as I can see - this did not happen.

"Eudora is dead, long live Eudora" 2006/10/11
http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/57746

"Qualcomm sets the record straight" 2007/09/05
http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/119019

Quoting Jeff Beckley in the latter article:

"This project is being implemented with no source code
from the previous versions of Eudora. The original Eudora source code
contains some proprietary portions from third parties
that we are unable to distribute under open source.
So there is no easy way to 'move' features from Classic Eudora
to the new Eudora/Penelope. All changes have to be reimplemented."

Note the slight change of heart since, then, however,
in that the name "Eudora 8" was eventually adopted anyway,
even for something completely unlike original Eudora --
basically Thunderbird with a graphics makeover and feature additions,
but not at all approaching the complete and priceless original Eudora.

> It is only this minute problem [username containing "@" character]
> which renders Eudora version 1.5.4 "out of date"

Got SSL? "Submission port" in SMTP settings?
Can display or compose HTML?
Enhanced and instantaneous search?
Handle virtually unlimited mailbox size and # of messages?

A complete list of all the "release notes,"
over more than a decade's elapsed time,
will reveal the enormous number of additions, improvements, and fixes:
http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+release+notes+site%3Aeudora.com

I began well before version 3, but I would not use anything older than
7.1 (Oct 2006), which itself fixed, improved, and introduced many useful things,
which I would not now want to be without -- nor can anything older than
6.2.3 (June 2005) even work at all with some ISPs.

I thought I was losing something at some point when things seemed to change a lot,
but I soon found that everything I once did was still available, and even better.

From: Happy Oyster on
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:53:08 -0600, "John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid>
wrote:

>Got SSL? "Submission port" in SMTP settings?
>Can display or compose HTML?
>Enhanced and instantaneous search?
>Handle virtually unlimited mailbox size and # of messages?

I do not need all that. I work with DOS + Win 3.11 under special shield. That is
absolutely bullet-proof. All the later stuff depends on Win 9.x+, which is
wrecked. So, the lnger I can use my old environment, the safer and the better. I
have about 3-4 GigaBytes of emails, don't know how many 100,000s.

To give up all that safety just because of this problem with the "@" in the
username is a terrible loss.

..