From: Greg on
Possible. But sometimes it seems louder when, for example, the hard drive
isnt being accessed.

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Thanks for the information William. You may be right.

I might need more information. How loud is this noise?

I've never heard one that was so loud it could be heard over any
program material outside of my experience with a Compaq LTE 5000. On
that machine, it was just possible to make out the soft but repetitive
sound of something happening periodically during quiet passages in
music.

> Is the DC-DC converter replacable? Might it be going out?

Sometimes it is a separate board. It's unlikely that it is going out,
but it probably is being loaded differently by the demands of a
different OS. Even very well designed switchmode power supplies (which
is basically what the DC-DC converter is) aren't absolutely quiet, nor
do they have 100% quiet output.

Circuit traces, grounds, coils and other parts may act as unwitting
antennas to radiate this noise. Or something in the audio circuit may
be insufficiently filtered or acting as an unintentional antenna/
receiver.

(This is why the majority of stereo receivers and decent quality audio
equipment use big old heavy transformers...they're not as efficient
and have to be pretty heavy to stand the load, but nothing beats one
for *quiet* output.)

William
From: Christopher Muto on
Greg wrote:
> I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook. I recently installed Windows 7 H. Prem.
> on it. I also put a new 500 gig Segate 5400 rpm drive in it also.
>
> I am hearing system noise when I have my earbuds plugged in. Like when the
> drive is spinnnig or maybe when my mouse is moving. And every so often it
> just stops. Even when I am moving the cursor around.
>
> I thought it may have been my drive failing. So that is why I replaced it.
> Plus the fact that I am getting a much better system raiting with this new
> drive.
>
> As far as drivers go, I am using the default Microsoft driver for the audio
> card. The audio in this case is realtek. I've also tried the Dell Vista
> driver for the sound card (they don't have a Windows 7 driver). There is no
> difference.
>
> I've tried disabling the on board mic too.
>
> Could it be a grounding problem? I've removed the battery and ran it with
> just the power supply. No change. I've ran it off the battery with the power
> supply removed. No change.
>
> It seems to be less noticable when I have the power set at balance instead
> of high performance.
>
> This wasn't happening when I had Vista on it.
>
> I have a pair of USB headphones. I will try those this evening to see if I
> hear anything.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

this is a common problem with the vostros 1500. if you use google to
search for "vostros 1500 noise" you will see lots of hits including a
youtube video that demonstrates the condition. there is also a thread
on the dell community forum about this problem that was addressed by
dell replacing the effected system motherboards. given the age of the
machine i suspect you are no longer under warranty and so they may not
be so cooperative in helping to solve the problem, but it is certainly
worth calling dell about it. good luck.
From: Alan Biddle on
I had that with a Dell 1420 machine. For other reasons, I replaced
the headphone set with a USB set, and was delighted to find the
internal noises had disappeared. You can also find mini usb to
headphone adapters, which will allow you to use your old headset. I
have seen these adapters for $5-10, and sometimes a cheap as 3 for
$10.

--
Alan
From: Greg on
I saw those a couple of days ago on a website. I have a pair of USB 5.1
headphones. But I prefer to use my sony fontopias. So I may look into the
mini usb adapter.

Thanks,
Greg

"Alan Biddle" <ALANBIDDLE70(a)YAHOO.COM> wrote in message
>I had that with a Dell 1420 machine. For other reasons, I replaced
> the headphone set with a USB set, and was delighted to find the
> internal noises had disappeared. You can also find mini usb to
> headphone adapters, which will allow you to use your old headset. I
> have seen these adapters for $5-10, and sometimes a cheap as 3 for
> $10.
>
> --
> Alan

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last