From: Rob on
Intel heat sink 775 pin series of CPU's Has there efficiency decreased
or isn't it necessary to have as much cooling. As the fins are now about
half height. Comparing the one that came with a P4 2.0 and the Q9400.

Can the latest heat sink be used on the older 2,4 or 3.0 CPU's or
should I find the correct type for the CPU.

thanks
From: Fred on

"Rob" <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Intel heat sink 775 pin series of CPU's Has there efficiency decreased or
> isn't it necessary to have as much cooling. As the fins are now about half
> height. Comparing the one that came with a P4 2.0 and the Q9400.
>
> Can the latest heat sink be used on the older 2,4 or 3.0 CPU's or should
> I find the correct type for the CPU.

The smaller heatsinks are supplied with the processors made after Intel
shrank the core microarchitecture to 45 nanometers, down from 65nm, so yes
they waste less power.
You might think of the tracks between the active components of a cpu as
resistors.
Passing a current through a resistor produces heat. Smaller spaces = less
heat.
Look at the ower rating of the cpu a Q9400 is 95 Watts
an E8400 is 65Watts.
I often put the bigger Intel heatsinks on the cpu's that ship with the
smaller ones as I have a box full of the bigger ones. Don't put a small
heatsink on a cpu that shipped with a larger one.

From: Rob on
Fred wrote:
> "Rob" <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Intel heat sink 775 pin series of CPU's Has there efficiency decreased or
>> isn't it necessary to have as much cooling. As the fins are now about half
>> height. Comparing the one that came with a P4 2.0 and the Q9400.
>>
>> Can the latest heat sink be used on the older 2,4 or 3.0 CPU's or should
>> I find the correct type for the CPU.
>
> The smaller heatsinks are supplied with the processors made after Intel
> shrank the core microarchitecture to 45 nanometers, down from 65nm, so yes
> they waste less power.
> You might think of the tracks between the active components of a cpu as
> resistors.
> Passing a current through a resistor produces heat. Smaller spaces = less
> heat.
> Look at the ower rating of the cpu a Q9400 is 95 Watts
> an E8400 is 65Watts.
> I often put the bigger Intel heatsinks on the cpu's that ship with the
> smaller ones as I have a box full of the bigger ones. Don't put a small
> heatsink on a cpu that shipped with a larger one.

I have a few of the newer types which came with E6600. Q9400 new as the
OP wanted a better quiter heat sink. So I guess Iam looking for an old
one but will replace the fan.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Interesting page
From: Trevor Wilson on
Fred wrote:
> "Rob" <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Intel heat sink 775 pin series of CPU's Has there efficiency
>> decreased or isn't it necessary to have as much cooling. As the fins
>> are now about half height. Comparing the one that came with a P4 2.0
>> and the Q9400. Can the latest heat sink be used on the older 2,4 or 3.0
>> CPU's or
>> should I find the correct type for the CPU.
>
> The smaller heatsinks are supplied with the processors made after
> Intel shrank the core microarchitecture to 45 nanometers, down from
> 65nm, so yes they waste less power.
> You might think of the tracks between the active components of a cpu
> as resistors.

**You might, but that is not the reason why newer CPUs run cooler.

> Passing a current through a resistor produces heat. Smaller spaces =
> less heat.

**Same deal. Wrong.

The real reasons for cooler CPUs is due to three factors:

* Lower operating Voltages = lower operating powers.
* More processing done in fewer clock ticks.
* Smarter management systems on-chip, means that CPUs 'shut sections of the
chip down' when not being used.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au