From: Marts on
I have an external HDD unit on a computer running Vista Home Premium. I enabled
sharing on it (which was interesting as it's done differently, interface-wise,
to XP). I allowed full access to all users.

I then tried to copy files from an XP machine to the ext. HDD. But I kept
getting messages saying that I don't have permission.

Any trick to get Vista to allow access to shared removable drives? I can access
the machine's HDD across the network, just not its portable drive.

I ended up going to the Vista machine and copying the files from the XP one.

From: Rod Speed on
Marts wrote:

> I have an external HDD unit on a computer running Vista Home Premium.
> I enabled sharing on it (which was interesting as it's done differently,
> interface-wise, to XP). I allowed full access to all users.

> I then tried to copy files from an XP machine to the ext. HDD.
> But I kept getting messages saying that I don't have permission.

> Any trick to get Vista to allow access to shared removable drives?

It isnt just shared removable drives, sharing any drive is a bit different with Vista.

> I can access the machine's HDD across the network, just not its portable drive.

Likely you havent dont the permissions right with that portable drive.

Vista has simple file sharing turned off by default. XP has it on by default.

> I ended up going to the Vista machine and copying the files from the XP one.

Which means it must be permissions.

From: Marts on
Rod Speed wrote...

> > I can access the machine's HDD across the network, just not its portable drive.
>
> Likely you havent dont the permissions right with that portable drive.

I have "co-owner" set to all for permissions. I couldn't find any other
settings.

Thing is, file sharing is fine for the unit's HDD, just not the external drive.

From: Rod Speed on
Marts wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> I can access the machine's HDD across the network, just not its portable drive.

>> Likely you havent dont the permissions right with that portable drive.

> I have "co-owner" set to all for permissions. I couldn't find any other settings.

Is it FAT32 or NTFS formatted ? That affects the permissions.

> Thing is, file sharing is fine for the unit's HDD, just not the external drive.

The permissions are drive specific.

From: Hugh Jeego on
Ownership of it may not be set to allow ALL to read or write etc. Ownership
may be set to System and everyone else locked out.

Try taking ownership under your user group or if that isn't enough, under
your user logon name. Eg, transfer the ownership to Marts if that is your
username on your computer.