From: Marts on
Rod Speed wrote...

> >> Likely you havent dont the permissions right with that portable drive.
>
> > I have "co-owner" set to all for permissions. I couldn't find any other settings.
>
> Is it FAT32 or NTFS formatted ? That affects the permissions.

Ah, good question. I think that it's NTFS as the missus is using it to store
captured video in raw AVI format (via Adobe Premiere). So it must be NTFS as
these files would be huge.

> > Thing is, file sharing is fine for the unit's HDD, just not the external drive.
>
> The permissions are drive specific.

Yes, I know. So, as someone else said, it's not related to "simple file
sharing".

I can see the drive on the network, I just cannot write anything to it, despite
it being allowed under file sharing for that drive.

Dozen madder. I ended up copying the data across the network from the computer
rather than copying it to the computer...

From: Hugh Jeego on

"Marts" <marts(a)ymail.com> wrote in message
> Rod Speed wrote...

>> > I have "co-owner" set to all for permissions. I couldn't find any other
>> > settings.
>>
>> Is it FAT32 or NTFS formatted ? That affects the permissions.
>
> Ah, good question. I think that it's NTFS as the missus is using it to
> store
> captured video in raw AVI format (via Adobe Premiere). So it must be NTFS
> as
> these files would be huge.

That wouldnt make any difference. I have formatted 160gig drives FAT32. It
works. I just dont like it. You can store one file of 140gigs on that if you
want.

>> > Thing is, file sharing is fine for the unit's HDD, just not the
>> > external drive.
>>
>> The permissions are drive specific.
>
> Yes, I know. So, as someone else said, it's not related to "simple file
> sharing".
>
> I can see the drive on the network, I just cannot write anything to it,
> despite
> it being allowed under file sharing for that drive.
>
> Dozen madder. I ended up copying the data across the network from the
> computer
> rather than copying it to the computer...

Like I said - you didn't OWN the drive. You needed to change ownership.