From: jones on
Have a NetComm modem NB6+4 ADSL 2+ Modem Router for my internet. However it
gets very hot in a very short time, and I find myself turning it off every
so often in case it blew up or something.

Are most modems like that?

Thank you
Katherine

From: Fred on

"jones" <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Have a NetComm modem NB6+4 ADSL 2+ Modem Router for my internet. However
> it gets very hot in a very short time, and I find myself turning it off
> every so often in case it blew up or something.
>
> Are most modems like that?

Yes the NB6PLUS4 does seem to run hot. Who knows if most modems run as hot
as that one.
I do know that some run cooler. The particular Linksys modem that I am using
now runs moderately warm.

From: me here on
Fred wrote:

> "jones" <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Have a NetComm modem NB6+4 ADSL 2+ Modem Router for my internet.
> > However it gets very hot in a very short time, and I find myself
> > turning it off every so often in case it blew up or something.
> >
> > Are most modems like that?
>
> Yes the NB6PLUS4 does seem to run hot. Who knows if most modems run
> as hot as that one.
> I do know that some run cooler. The particular Linksys modem that I
> am using now runs moderately warm.

I have the same modem and yes it does run quite hot.

I had my previous 3comm modem sitting on the floor on carpet, but like
you was concerned about the Netcomm temperature and moved it to the top
of the PC case so it could get maximum ventilation.

Damn good modem and router though.

I'm with TPG and never get disconnects or droppouts of any sort with it.

From: jones on
> Damn good modem and router though.
>
> I'm with TPG and never get disconnects or droppouts of any sort with it.

Thank you all for your help.

I got it from TPG and I even lifted it up with blue tack and a couple of
dowel rods for "legs".

Good recommendation, so I might even try putting it on the tower as
suggested. Gets it off the desk too.

Hope I live to see the day when we can use all this equipment without ANY
wires and cables. My desk looks like a tip.

Thanks again
Katherine

From: Hugh Jeego on
A long, real long, time ago, I used to know the original developers of the
Maestro modems. They brought out a new and fast 2400 baud ZXR modem and
forgot, in the design of the case, to include any vents for heat to release.
Consequently, after some hours online or in Summer, about 30 minutes online,
it would start to throw garbage characters at the computer and sometimes it
would lose the line. Basically, I unscrewed the case and left it sitting
open and that never happened again. Try that.

As for the owners, they didn't seem to understand that simple little thing
and said it didn't overheat. So I asked them to explain where heat caused by
the modem would go with the case done up and they sat slack jawed on the
line for a moment and then I reminded them that unless you lived in a cooler
climate than Sydney gets to, especially in Summer, it gets burning hot
inside their cases. Their 9600 baud modems had adequate heat release - they
thought heat sinks would do it all but what can they do when they cant
release heat?

Oh and the old computer I had back then was also prone to overheating. I
would leave the side off it and run a household fan at it and it didn't
overheat any longer. It wasn't dust, either, just an old computer and me
wanting it to do a lot. So - try undoing the case and if need be use a fan.
Cheap options that may work.

"jones" <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Have a NetComm modem NB6+4 ADSL 2+ Modem Router for my internet. However
> it gets very hot in a very short time, and I find myself turning it off
> every so often in case it blew up or something.
>
> Are most modems like that?
>
> Thank you
> Katherine
>

 |  Next  |  Last