From: Rob on
I have a choice of ADSL1 or ADSL2 connection

ADSL1 1500

ADSL2 will only run at 2000 in this area.

So each have about the same speed.

So the choice - is there any difference between each?

What reason should one have over the other for it to be better?
From: z1 on
Rob wrote:
> I have a choice of ADSL1 or ADSL2 connection
>
> ADSL1 1500
>
> ADSL2 will only run at 2000 in this area.
>
> So each have about the same speed.
>
> So the choice - is there any difference between each?
>
> What reason should one have over the other for it to be better?

Have you thought about asking your ISP?

In the meantime let's do some thinking for you.

If download interests you then the technical limits are 1500/8 and 2000/8.

The other difference might be cost. From what I have seen ADSL2 can be
cheaper.

Looking into the future, ADSL2 can likely become the standard, so go
with the future.

If it's such an issue for you then maybe a stint on dialup will help
clear your mind :)
From: Rob on
z1 wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> I have a choice of ADSL1 or ADSL2 connection
>>
>> ADSL1 1500
>>
>> ADSL2 will only run at 2000 in this area.
>>
>> So each have about the same speed.
>>
>> So the choice - is there any difference between each?
>>
>> What reason should one have over the other for it to be better?
>
> Have you thought about asking your ISP?
>
> In the meantime let's do some thinking for you.
>
> If download interests you then the technical limits are 1500/8 and 2000/8.
>
> The other difference might be cost. From what I have seen ADSL2 can be
> cheaper.
>
> Looking into the future, ADSL2 can likely become the standard, so go
> with the future.
>
> If it's such an issue for you then maybe a stint on dialup will help
> clear your mind :)

The dialup speeds come with the shaped monthly plans. Its a BIG step
down even from 256 to 6 even to downloading email text :)

About the same cost per month with download quota etc.

Telstra are now offering 1500 ADSL1 at a reasonable rate. Why??????
And not pushing ADSL2.

Is ADSL more reliable than ADSL2?
From: z1 on
Rob wrote:
> z1 wrote:
>> Rob wrote:
>>> I have a choice of ADSL1 or ADSL2 connection
>>>
>>> ADSL1 1500
>>>
>>> ADSL2 will only run at 2000 in this area.
>>>
>>> So each have about the same speed.
>>>
>>> So the choice - is there any difference between each?
>>>
>>> What reason should one have over the other for it to be better?
>>
>> Have you thought about asking your ISP?
>>
>> In the meantime let's do some thinking for you.
>>
>> If download interests you then the technical limits are 1500/8 and
>> 2000/8.
>>
>> The other difference might be cost. From what I have seen ADSL2 can be
>> cheaper.
>>
>> Looking into the future, ADSL2 can likely become the standard, so go
>> with the future.
>>
>> If it's such an issue for you then maybe a stint on dialup will help
>> clear your mind :)
>
> The dialup speeds come with the shaped monthly plans. Its a BIG step
> down even from 256 to 6 even to downloading email text :)
>

> About the same cost per month with download quota etc.
>
> Telstra are now offering 1500 ADSL1 at a reasonable rate. Why?????? And
> not pushing ADSL2.
>

> Is ADSL more reliable than ADSL2?

checkout Netspace
and give www.whirlpool.net.au a look.
you mean telstra comes at a reasonable price? since when?
From: Rod Speed on
Rob wrote:
> z1 wrote:
>> Rob wrote:
>>> I have a choice of ADSL1 or ADSL2 connection
>>>
>>> ADSL1 1500
>>>
>>> ADSL2 will only run at 2000 in this area.
>>>
>>> So each have about the same speed.
>>>
>>> So the choice - is there any difference between each?
>>>
>>> What reason should one have over the other for it to be better?
>>
>> Have you thought about asking your ISP?
>>
>> In the meantime let's do some thinking for you.
>>
>> If download interests you then the technical limits are 1500/8 and
>> 2000/8. The other difference might be cost. From what I have seen ADSL2 can
>> be cheaper.
>>
>> Looking into the future, ADSL2 can likely become the standard, so go
>> with the future.
>>
>> If it's such an issue for you then maybe a stint on dialup will help
>> clear your mind :)
>
> The dialup speeds come with the shaped monthly plans. Its a BIG step
> down even from 256 to 6 even to downloading email text :)
>

> About the same cost per month with download quota etc.

> Telstra are now offering 1500 ADSL1 at a reasonable rate. Why??????

Because they have the hardware in place.

> And not pushing ADSL2.

That is just plain wrong.

> Is ADSL more reliable than ADSL2?

Nope.