From: Rob on
z1 wrote:
> Ray wrote:
>> Rob <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>>> z1 wrote:
>>>
>>> The dialup speeds come with the shaped monthly plans. Its a BIG step
>>> down even from 256 to 6 even to downloading email text :)
>>>

>> Huh, most shape to around 64kbits/s
>>
>> Yeah 6KB/s is your typical download rate when shaped, but you don't
>> get 256 KB/s at full speed, more like 24 KB/s.
>>

> you are not getting confused between bits and bytes?
>
> http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bytes.htm
>
> a 256 connection nominally allows for a 32Kb/sec download.
> so my 1500 amounts to a 187 Kb/sec - the best I have seen was around 160
> kb/sec

I mixed it up in the first place and should have said 25kb (256) back to
6kb (64)

From: annily on
z1 wrote:
> Ray wrote:
>> Rob <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>>> z1 wrote:
>>>
>>> The dialup speeds come with the shaped monthly plans. Its a BIG step
>>> down even from 256 to 6 even to downloading email text :)
>>>

>> Huh, most shape to around 64kbits/s
>>
>> Yeah 6KB/s is your typical download rate when shaped, but you don't
>> get 256 KB/s at full speed, more like 24 KB/s.
>>

> you are not getting confused between bits and bytes?
>
> http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bytes.htm
>
> a 256 connection nominally allows for a 32Kb/sec download.
> so my 1500 amounts to a 187 Kb/sec - the best I have seen was around 160
> kb/sec

Don't forget about protocol overheads. 1500 kbps is equivalent to 187
kB/s of transmitted data, but after stripping protocol bits, the net
download throughput will be more like 160 kB/s, as you have seen.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: terryc on
Rob wrote:
> I have a choice of ADSL1 or ADSL2 connection
>
> ADSL1 1500
>
> ADSL2 will only run at 2000 in this area.
>
> So each have about the same speed.
>
> So the choice - is there any difference between each?
>
> What reason should one have over the other for it to be better?

If you want the MORE reliable copper voice service, then adsl1 and stick
with Telstra for voice. Removes any chance of being caught in a Telstra
Vs ???barney ove who has to do what before it is fixed.

Otherwise, go to broadbandchoice.com.au, enter your phone number and
compare available plans.
From: terryc on
Rob wrote:

> In a phone conversation the other night was offered 1500 ADSL for $45
> 12Gb DL then shaped.

What counts?
Downloads only or includes uploads?
Exetel will offer you 60GB in off peak downloads on top of that
(mentioned simply to remind you to go to broadbandchoice.com.au and
compare plans)

>>> Is ADSL more reliable than ADSL2?
>>
>> Nope.
>

> Thats what I wanted to know.

OTOH, exactly what will still work when the power goes out? standard phone?
From: Rod Speed on
Rob wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Rob wrote
>>> z1 wrote

>>> The dialup speeds come with the shaped monthly plans. Its a BIG
>>> step down even from 256 to 6 even to downloading email text :)

>>> About the same cost per month with download quota etc.

>>> Telstra are now offering 1500 ADSL1 at a reasonable rate. Why??????

>> Because they have the hardware in place.

>>> And not pushing ADSL2.

>> That is just plain wrong.

> In a phone conversation the other night was offered 1500 ADSL for $45 12Gb DL then shaped.

Trouble with that is the cost of the phone service you have to have to get that.