From: Ray on
z1 <z1(a)127.0.0.1> wrote in

> Ray wrote:
>> Rob <mesamine(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> z1 wrote:
>>>
>>> The dialup speeds come with the shaped monthly plans. Its a BIG
>>> step down even from 256 to 6 even to downloading email text :)
>>>

>> Huh, most shape to around 64kbits/s
>>
>> Yeah 6KB/s is your typical download rate when shaped, but you don't
>> get 256 KB/s at full speed, more like 24 KB/s.
>>

> you are not getting confused between bits and bytes?
>
> http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bytes.htm
>
> a 256 connection nominally allows for a 32Kb/sec download.
> so my 1500 amounts to a 187 Kb/sec - the best I have seen was around
> 160 kb/sec

Not confused at all, but the OP was. I suggest you re-read what I said.

I always find the old estimate for async serial data throughput of 10
bits/byte sent (1 start, 1 stop bit) still works well for IP traffic,
much easier than figuring the packet filling rate and header sizes.

So divide your 256 kbps link by 10, and that gives you a pretty damn
good approximation of 26KB/s

Also note that bits are 'b' and Bytes are 'B' when abbreviated....
From: terryc on
annily wrote:

> Yes, assuming the exchange still has power.

Exchanges have batteries and AFAIK generators for longer outages. They
were deemed essential infrastructure.

Ther advantage with ADSL1 is so long as you have the right hand set, the
telephone will contine working. A very important consideration for some
people.

> Any ADSL won't work unless
> you have backup power (e.g. UPS) for the modem and PC.

UPS's are designed to gently shutdown critical computer systems. If you
want long run time when the mains is down, get a generator. Frankly, if
this is an issue, most people would be better off with a laptop,
backuped by an inverter and a deep discharge battery. UPS are great
beasts and typically fail when you need them as they are not regularly
tested.

From: terryc on
Rob wrote:

> Have been with Telstra phone services for years - seen others who have
> changed come and go to different providors most have alway had problems
> somewhere along the line.

And depending on your exchange, you can add ADSl1 service from any
provider there. I'd never use Telstra as the ISP.
From: Rob on
On 4/02/2010 5:19 PM, terryc wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>> Have been with Telstra phone services for years - seen others who have
>> changed come and go to different providors most have alway had
>> problems somewhere along the line.
>
> And depending on your exchange, you can add ADSl1 service from any
> provider there. I'd never use Telstra as the ISP.

Telstra sales promise you the world, its all the others there, that
stuff up :)
From: Gregory Shearman on
On 2010-02-04, terryc <newsninespam-spam(a)woa.com.au> wrote:
> annily wrote:
>
>> Yes, assuming the exchange still has power.
>
> Exchanges have batteries and AFAIK generators for longer outages. They
> were deemed essential infrastructure.
>
> Ther advantage with ADSL1 is so long as you have the right hand set, the
> telephone will contine working. A very important consideration for some
> people.
>
>> Any ADSL won't work unless
>> you have backup power (e.g. UPS) for the modem and PC.
>
> UPS's are designed to gently shutdown critical computer systems. If you
> want long run time when the mains is down, get a generator. Frankly, if
> this is an issue, most people would be better off with a laptop,
> backuped by an inverter and a deep discharge battery. UPS are great
> beasts and typically fail when you need them as they are not regularly
> tested.

My UPS gets tested regularly. You should live where I'm living. Every
thunderstorm that hits us brings the power down. The software that runs
my UPS can also do some diagnostics.

It's an Eaton PowerWare 700VA on its second battery. It also gave me
plenty of warning when the battery was failing.

The UPS can keep my internet connection up and running (router,time
server and ADSL modem) for as long as my laptop battery lasts.

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power