From: Phred on
G'day mates,

I saw some reasonable prices for the assorted Win 7 versions the other
day and wondered if it's worth buying.

Questions:

1. Do the various upgrade versions permit upgrading from XP? If so,
has anyone who's done it been happy with the result and do they have
any advice on the process re "gotchas" to avoid?

2. If upgrading from XP is legit, can it be done on a clean system by
"showing" the XP CD at the right time, or does it have to be done over
the installed XP system?

3. Are there likely to be problems with upgrading from an XP OEM
product? (Particularly if trying to do it on a clean system using a
Dell XP installation CD.)

4. Finally, what features and limitations of the various Win7 versions
would be important to consider for a single user home network where
the user is not presently into the "entertainment" side of things, but
perhaps could be persuaded down the track if it's a Really Good Thing!
I'm really only wondering here why one would pay nearly twice as much
for an upgrade to "Professional" or "Ultimate" (which happen to be
priced the same at the moment) over the cost of "Home Premium". [And,
if looking at needing the full version (i.e. can't upgrade from XP)
then the extra cost for the higher versions is about 50% above Home --
and in this case Ultimate is only marginally dearer than Pro.]

Thanks for any guidance and advice you can offer.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE(a)THISyahoo.com.INVALID

From: XR8 Sprintless on
On 26/01/2010 9:31 PM, Phred wrote:
> G'day mates,
>
> I saw some reasonable prices for the assorted Win 7 versions the other
> day and wondered if it's worth buying.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Do the various upgrade versions permit upgrading from XP? If so,
> has anyone who's done it been happy with the result and do they have
> any advice on the process re "gotchas" to avoid?
>
> 2. If upgrading from XP is legit, can it be done on a clean system by
> "showing" the XP CD at the right time, or does it have to be done over
> the installed XP system?
>
> 3. Are there likely to be problems with upgrading from an XP OEM
> product? (Particularly if trying to do it on a clean system using a
> Dell XP installation CD.)
>
> 4. Finally, what features and limitations of the various Win7 versions
> would be important to consider for a single user home network where
> the user is not presently into the "entertainment" side of things, but
> perhaps could be persuaded down the track if it's a Really Good Thing!
> I'm really only wondering here why one would pay nearly twice as much
> for an upgrade to "Professional" or "Ultimate" (which happen to be
> priced the same at the moment) over the cost of "Home Premium". [And,
> if looking at needing the full version (i.e. can't upgrade from XP)
> then the extra cost for the higher versions is about 50% above Home --
> and in this case Ultimate is only marginally dearer than Pro.]
>
> Thanks for any guidance and advice you can offer.
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Whilst there is no direct way to upgrade from Xp to Win7 you can use
Laplink PC Mover which will transfer programs and settings across.

Check their website for details. I have used it when doing system
upgrades and it seems to do quite a good job.
From: Daddy on
Phred wrote:
> G'day mates,
>
> I saw some reasonable prices for the assorted Win 7 versions the other
> day and wondered if it's worth buying.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Do the various upgrade versions permit upgrading from XP? If so,
> has anyone who's done it been happy with the result and do they have
> any advice on the process re "gotchas" to avoid?
>
> 2. If upgrading from XP is legit, can it be done on a clean system by
> "showing" the XP CD at the right time, or does it have to be done over
> the installed XP system?
>
> 3. Are there likely to be problems with upgrading from an XP OEM
> product? (Particularly if trying to do it on a clean system using a
> Dell XP installation CD.)
>
> 4. Finally, what features and limitations of the various Win7 versions
> would be important to consider for a single user home network where
> the user is not presently into the "entertainment" side of things, but
> perhaps could be persuaded down the track if it's a Really Good Thing!
> I'm really only wondering here why one would pay nearly twice as much
> for an upgrade to "Professional" or "Ultimate" (which happen to be
> priced the same at the moment) over the cost of "Home Premium". [And,
> if looking at needing the full version (i.e. can't upgrade from XP)
> then the extra cost for the higher versions is about 50% above Home --
> and in this case Ultimate is only marginally dearer than Pro.]
>
> Thanks for any guidance and advice you can offer.
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Starting with Windows 7, you can no longer use an upgrade disk on a
blank hard drive.

If you want to do a clean install - it's called a 'custom install' in
Win7 - with an Upgrade disc, you have to boot from the Upgrade disc, and
use the Upgrade disc to format your hard drive. This allows the Upgrade
disc to 'see' that you have a qualifying earlier version of Windows
installed.

After your hard drive is formatted, you can proceed with installing
Windows 7 from the Upgrade disc.

This is now the only *legal* way to do a clean install with an Upgrade disc.

Daddy
From: Lauren Orda on

"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> I saw some reasonable prices for the assorted Win 7 versions the other
> day and wondered if it's worth buying.

Any chance of letting us know where these reasonable priced Win 7s are
located??
Thanks
Lauren

From: davo on

"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> I saw some reasonable prices for the assorted Win 7 versions the other
> day and wondered if it's worth buying.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Do the various upgrade versions permit upgrading from XP? If so,
> has anyone who's done it been happy with the result and do they have
> any advice on the process re "gotchas" to avoid?
>
> 2. If upgrading from XP is legit, can it be done on a clean system by
> "showing" the XP CD at the right time, or does it have to be done over
> the installed XP system?
>
> 3. Are there likely to be problems with upgrading from an XP OEM
> product? (Particularly if trying to do it on a clean system using a
> Dell XP installation CD.)
>
> 4. Finally, what features and limitations of the various Win7 versions
> would be important to consider for a single user home network where
> the user is not presently into the "entertainment" side of things, but
> perhaps could be persuaded down the track if it's a Really Good Thing!
> I'm really only wondering here why one would pay nearly twice as much
> for an upgrade to "Professional" or "Ultimate" (which happen to be
> priced the same at the moment) over the cost of "Home Premium". [And,
> if looking at needing the full version (i.e. can't upgrade from XP)
> then the extra cost for the higher versions is about 50% above Home --
> and in this case Ultimate is only marginally dearer than Pro.]
>
> Thanks for any guidance and advice you can offer.
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> ppnerkDELETE(a)THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Worth a look