From: Phred on
In article <bXS7n.3741$pv.212(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Lauren
Orda" <cis123(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I saw some reasonable prices for the assorted Win 7 versions the other
>> day and wondered if it's worth buying.
>>
>Any chance of letting us know where these reasonable priced Win 7s are
>located??

G'day Lauren,

It was a recent "24-hour special" (in this case, it was a 48-hour
special because of Oz Day :-) offered by:
<http://www.citysoftware.com.au/Browse/Browse.aspx>
as one of their recent series of such offers ("Mega Deal of the Day"
to use their terminology). I don't really know how attractive the
pricing was ("was" because the deal finished about noon today) but
they had the Home Premium upgrade at $169 (full version at $265);
Professional was $329/379; and Ultimate was $329/389. [These prices
are Australian dollars.]

In the end I didn't take up the offer -- as someone said in this
thread, there's really no dire need to upgrade from XP; so I think
I'll wait until I *need* Win7, and by then I'll probably need a new
PC too. :-) In any case, maybe those prices aren't all that good
after all? (And, if they are, it's likely they'll be repeated in the
foreseeable future because CitySoft has done that in the past by
making a 24-hour offer covering a bunch of stuff they previously
listed individually.)

Thanks to all the folk who responded to my request for info and
guidance, and thanks again to Fred and Hank for their follow-up
comments. (Especially Fred, for setting out some pretty important
issues concerning the various versions of Win7.)

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE(a)THISyahoo.com.INVALID

From: Lauren Orda on

> In article <bXS7n.3741$pv.212(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Lauren
> Orda" <cis123(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I saw some reasonable prices for the assorted Win 7 versions the other
>>> day and wondered if it's worth buying.
>>>
>>Any chance of letting us know where these reasonable priced Win 7s are
>>located??
>
> G'day Lauren,
>
> It was a recent "24-hour special" (in this case, it was a 48-hour
> special because of Oz Day :-) offered by:
> <http://www.citysoftware.com.au/Browse/Browse.aspx>
> as one of their recent series of such offers ("Mega Deal of the Day"
> to use their terminology). I don't really know how attractive the
> pricing was ("was" because the deal finished about noon today) but
> they had the Home Premium upgrade at $169 (full version at $265);
> Professional was $329/379; and Ultimate was $329/389. [These prices
> are Australian dollars.]
>
> In the end I didn't take up the offer -- as someone said in this
> thread, there's really no dire need to upgrade from XP; so I think
> I'll wait until I *need* Win7, and by then I'll probably need a new
> PC too. :-) In any case, maybe those prices aren't all that good
> after all? (And, if they are, it's likely they'll be repeated in the
> foreseeable future because CitySoft has done that in the past by
> making a 24-hour offer covering a bunch of stuff they previously
> listed individually.)
>
> Thanks to all the folk who responded to my request for info and
> guidance, and thanks again to Fred and Hank for their follow-up
> comments. (Especially Fred, for setting out some pretty important
> issues concerning the various versions of Win7.)
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> ppnerkDELETE(a)THISyahoo.com.INVALID

I have a couple of Vista Home Premium Upgrades and am led to believe that
they qualify for uprade to Win 7 Home Premium. But have no idea what the Win
7 cost is to enable this.

From: Hugh Jeego on

"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> I saw some reasonable prices for the assorted Win 7 versions the other
> day and wondered if it's worth buying.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Do the various upgrade versions permit upgrading from XP? If so,
> has anyone who's done it been happy with the result and do they have
> any advice on the process re "gotchas" to avoid?

No not a direct upgrade but you can download Windows Easy Transfer from
Microsoft for XP and install it then run it and tell it to get all the usual
suspects and any other folders you want. It stores all that in one file
somewhere else so have space not on C drive ready to go to take it. Once in
Win 7, run Windows Easy transfer again (it comes with Windows 7 and Vista)
and tell it to bring the data back in. All your files and such get put back
in place. You MAY lose email if you dont watch it so either have a Windows
Mail from a compatible Vista version ready to copy to C drive after Win 7 is
online of get Outlook 2007 which you can buy separately from Office. Works
well.

> 2. If upgrading from XP is legit, can it be done on a clean system by
> "showing" the XP CD at the right time, or does it have to be done over
> the installed XP system?

Nope. Cant direct upgrade from XP or older. Just Vista.

> 3. Are there likely to be problems with upgrading from an XP OEM
> product? (Particularly if trying to do it on a clean system using a
> Dell XP installation CD.)

Nope. It will work as I said above.

> 4. Finally, what features and limitations of the various Win7 versions
> would be important to consider for a single user home network where
> the user is not presently into the "entertainment" side of things, but
> perhaps could be persuaded down the track if it's a Really Good Thing!
> I'm really only wondering here why one would pay nearly twice as much
> for an upgrade to "Professional" or "Ultimate" (which happen to be
> priced the same at the moment) over the cost of "Home Premium". [And,
> if looking at needing the full version (i.e. can't upgrade from XP)
> then the extra cost for the higher versions is about 50% above Home --
> and in this case Ultimate is only marginally dearer than Pro.]

Depends entirely on need. For example, Win t Pro or above are good for a
simple file server (not to be confused with any Microsoft Server OS) as Pro
version allows 20 simultaneous connections to it. Comparison of stuff side
by side on split screen is great for you if you do that a lot. I often have
my Outlook 2007 up in front of me and then mouse over an Excel sheet without
clicking to show that sheet to get a phone number. Removing the mouse
without clicking automatically brings you back to where you were. Simple
things like that if you dont want to get deeply into it but more than that,
on the same machine capable of taking Win 7 I find it to run better than XP
and is more forgiving. I had 4 power outages today and my damned UPS battery
packed it in the other day so my desktop computers all went down. The Vista
and Win 7 ones came straight back without a problem. The XP one did 3 times.
I have purposely run the test Win 7 into the ground making it crash here and
there. Never lost anything.

From: Hugh Jeego on
Oh and a PS,

I forgot to mention there *IS* a way to do an upgrade from XP to Win 7 if
you want to chance it. http://laplink.com/media/

I haven't really had a need to try it as Windows Easy Transfer did all I
wanted getting XP stuff to WIN 7 so I cant say it works or not. If you try
it, let us know.

From: Hugh Jeego on

"XR8 Sprintless" <xr8_sprint(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 26/01/2010 9:31 PM, Phred wrote:
>> G'day mates,
>>
>> I saw some reasonable prices for the assorted Win 7 versions the other
>> day and wondered if it's worth buying.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1. Do the various upgrade versions permit upgrading from XP? If so,
>> has anyone who's done it been happy with the result and do they have
>> any advice on the process re "gotchas" to avoid?
>>
>> 2. If upgrading from XP is legit, can it be done on a clean system by
>> "showing" the XP CD at the right time, or does it have to be done over
>> the installed XP system?
>>
>> 3. Are there likely to be problems with upgrading from an XP OEM
>> product? (Particularly if trying to do it on a clean system using a
>> Dell XP installation CD.)
>>
>> 4. Finally, what features and limitations of the various Win7 versions
>> would be important to consider for a single user home network where
>> the user is not presently into the "entertainment" side of things, but
>> perhaps could be persuaded down the track if it's a Really Good Thing!
>> I'm really only wondering here why one would pay nearly twice as much
>> for an upgrade to "Professional" or "Ultimate" (which happen to be
>> priced the same at the moment) over the cost of "Home Premium". [And,
>> if looking at needing the full version (i.e. can't upgrade from XP)
>> then the extra cost for the higher versions is about 50% above Home --
>> and in this case Ultimate is only marginally dearer than Pro.]
>>
>> Thanks for any guidance and advice you can offer.
>>
>> Cheers, Phred.
>>
> Whilst there is no direct way to upgrade from Xp to Win7 you can use
> Laplink PC Mover which will transfer programs and settings across.
>
> Check their website for details. I have used it when doing system upgrades
> and it seems to do quite a good job.

So does it end up like a normal upgrade would say from Vista to Win 7 or XP
to Vista? I had thought of trying them and had their details on file for
months but Windows Easy transfer for XP really did all I wanted for most
machines I have had to upgrade. I suspect I will come across one where I
need that program sooner or later, though.