From: Figaro on
On Aug 1, 7:26 pm, nospam <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <fb910c99-c2d7-403e-983d-c6d7247f7...(a)p11g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Has this particular CD player ever played a burned (as opposed to
> > > commercial, pressed) CD? A fair number of older CD players don't
> > > recognize burned media, and many that do are somewhat fussy about what
> > > brand CD-Rs (usually based upon the dye color).
>
> > It's a CD-RW.
>
> cd-rw is not as reflective as cd-r or commercially pressed discs and
> may not play in all players, especially old ones.
>
> what you want is multi-read capability.

I'll try burning again with a CD-R and report back.

Thanks!
From: David Empson on
Figaro <ponsellite(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> First I burned a playlist of apple lossless files.... the CD played
> fine on the computer but not in my old portable CD player.
>
> Next, I converted playlist files into WAV and burned again.... same
> thing happened.
>
> What's going on??

As others have noted, it is probably a compatibility problem between the
media you are using this time, and that CD player.

> What is the file format that iTunes burns to CD?

If you choose to burn an "Audio CD" (as opposed to an "MP3 CD" or "Data
CD or DVD"), there is no file format. An Audio CD contains raw
uncompressed digital audio data at 44.1 kHz stereo, 16 bits per sample.

Apart from audio quality of the original files, it doesn't make any
difference if you burn an "Audio CD" from Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV,
MP3, AAC or anything else. The end result is in the standard audio CD
format.

("Data CD" will write a file system to the CD containing the audio files
in their current format, which almost certainly won't work in an old
portable CD player. "MP3 CD" will write a file system to the CD
containing MP3 files only, but you have to convert everything to MP3
first. It just ignores any non-MP3 files in your playlist.)

> I did make sure I was burning "Music CD" in the preference/advanced
> setting.

How old is the version of iTunes are you using? The setting for the
burned CD format hasn't been in the preferences for a while. In iTunes 9
it is a selection made at the point you burn a CD.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz