From: Michael Breslau on
I had some old home movies commercially digitized to DVD, so I assume
the DVDs are not proprietary/protected. Now I wish to share the images
with my children, so I tried to duplicate the disks using my iMac.

I tried copying the contents of the DVD to a folder on my HD and then
copying the folder contents to a DVD+R. Copied Okay, wouldn't play.
I tried copying the DVD to a new .dmg file, and thence to a blank DVD+R.
No go.
I tried copying the DVD to a .cdr file then burning that. Didn't work.

Okay, I've wasted three blank discs so far. What am I doing wrong?
How can I duplicate these DVDs so they will play?
Detailed descriptions, please. I'm feeling stupid now.

TIA,
MIke
From: Wayne C. Morris on
In article <mbreslau-44B5EE.10472501082010(a)news.speakeasy.net>,
Michael Breslau <mbreslau(a)speakeasy.org> wrote:

> I had some old home movies commercially digitized to DVD, so I assume
> the DVDs are not proprietary/protected.
>
> I tried copying the contents of the DVD to a folder on my HD and then
> copying the folder contents to a DVD+R. Copied Okay, wouldn't play.
>
> Okay, I've wasted three blank discs so far. What am I doing wrong?
> How can I duplicate these DVDs so they will play?
> Detailed descriptions, please. I'm feeling stupid now.

You burned it as a data disc, probably Mac OS Extended format or hybrid Mac +
Windows. DVD-Video discs must be Universal Disk Format (UDF).

I don't know how to do it using the Finder or Disk Utility. I use Roxio's Toast
Titanium to burn CDs and DVDs because it's much more versatile. In Toast, you
just insert the disc to be copied, click on Copy, click the Burn button and
Record. It makes a temporary copy on your hard disk, ejects the DVD, and asks
you to insert a blank DVD.
From: sbt on
In article <mbreslau-44B5EE.10472501082010(a)news.speakeasy.net>, Michael
Breslau <mbreslau(a)speakeasy.org> wrote:

> I had some old home movies commercially digitized to DVD, so I assume
> the DVDs are not proprietary/protected. Now I wish to share the images
> with my children, so I tried to duplicate the disks using my iMac.
>
> I tried copying the contents of the DVD to a folder on my HD and then
> copying the folder contents to a DVD+R. Copied Okay, wouldn't play.
> I tried copying the DVD to a new .dmg file, and thence to a blank DVD+R.
> No go.
> I tried copying the DVD to a .cdr file then burning that. Didn't work.
>
> Okay, I've wasted three blank discs so far. What am I doing wrong?
> How can I duplicate these DVDs so they will play?
> Detailed descriptions, please. I'm feeling stupid now.
>
> TIA,

Burning to a DVD-R, with the format set to UDF will do the trick. The
easiest way to do this is with Toast, but if you are determined to
perform the task with the built-in utilities, go to Disk Utility and
create a disk image with the format set to CD/DVD Master. Copy your
files to this disk image and burn it.

--
Spenser
From: George Kerby on

On 8/1/10 10:48 AM, in article
wayne.morris-0750AA.10482401082010(a)mx01.eternal-september.org, "Wayne C.
Morris" <wayne.morris(a)this.is.invalid> wrote:

> In article <mbreslau-44B5EE.10472501082010(a)news.speakeasy.net>,
> Michael Breslau <mbreslau(a)speakeasy.org> wrote:
>
>> I had some old home movies commercially digitized to DVD, so I assume
>> the DVDs are not proprietary/protected.
>>
>> I tried copying the contents of the DVD to a folder on my HD and then
>> copying the folder contents to a DVD+R. Copied Okay, wouldn't play.
>>
>> Okay, I've wasted three blank discs so far. What am I doing wrong?
>> How can I duplicate these DVDs so they will play?
>> Detailed descriptions, please. I'm feeling stupid now.
>
> You burned it as a data disc, probably Mac OS Extended format or hybrid Mac +
> Windows. DVD-Video discs must be Universal Disk Format (UDF).
>
> I don't know how to do it using the Finder or Disk Utility. I use Roxio's
> Toast
> Titanium to burn CDs and DVDs because it's much more versatile. In Toast, you
> just insert the disc to be copied, click on Copy, click the Burn button and
> Record. It makes a temporary copy on your hard disk, ejects the DVD, and asks
> you to insert a blank DVD.

Free trial:
<http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Toast-Titanium.shtml>

From: Tempuser on
On 8/1/10 8:47 AM, Michael Breslau wrote:
> I had some old home movies commercially digitized to DVD, so I assume
> the DVDs are not proprietary/protected. Now I wish to share the images
> with my children, so I tried to duplicate the disks using my iMac.
>
> I tried copying the contents of the DVD to a folder on my HD and then
> copying the folder contents to a DVD+R. Copied Okay, wouldn't play.
> I tried copying the DVD to a new .dmg file, and thence to a blank DVD+R.
> No go.
> I tried copying the DVD to a .cdr file then burning that. Didn't work.
>
> Okay, I've wasted three blank discs so far. What am I doing wrong?
> How can I duplicate these DVDs so they will play?
> Detailed descriptions, please. I'm feeling stupid now.
>
> TIA,
> MIke
You should be able to use Disk Utility if you don't just copy the DVD.
First: In Disk Utility you need to select "New Image". That will create
an image from the original to wherever you want to put it.
Second: Now that you have an image of the original DVD, you can use Disk
Utility to burn a new DVD.