From: Sam on

> It seems that Ebay has rdram for you, but a matched set will
> probably run you $140 a questionable expense for this
> computer. Docs are found at
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim8200/specs.htm#1101572

You're right that's a lot of money for this PC but I feel the need to
upgrade the memory some maybe to one gb.
I remember when Intel released rdram. Far superior to other memory at the
time but the PC vendors and the memory cartel resisted it though I don't
remember why. I do rem,ember Intel when sending cash to the vendors that
used it. Oh well.

From: Ben Myers on
On 2/6/2010 8:46 PM, Sam wrote:
>> It seems that Ebay has rdram for you, but a matched set will
>> probably run you $140 a questionable expense for this
>> computer. Docs are found at
>> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim8200/specs.htm#1101572
>
> You're right that's a lot of money for this PC but I feel the need to
> upgrade the memory some maybe to one gb.
> I remember when Intel released rdram. Far superior to other memory at the
> time but the PC vendors and the memory cartel resisted it though I don't
> remember why. I do rem,ember Intel when sending cash to the vendors that
> used it. Oh well.

I would run manufacturer's diagnostics on the hard drive, open up the
case and give the fans and processor heat sink a good cleaning. If
neither of these improves the system and it still locks up, you could
reinstall Windows to get rid of whatever strangeness has crept in.

Intel pushed real hard for RAMBUS memory, especially for Pentium 4
systems which needed the speedy memory to reduce memory access
bottlenecks. Dell (possibly the greatest numbers), HP, Compaq (when
they were separate), Gateway, IBM (using Asus boards), and NEC all went
for RAMBUS systems, positioning them correctly as high-end alternatives
to SDRAM. Memory manufacturers Toshiba, Samsung, Infineon and other
paid royalties to RAMBUS for every stick of memory manufactured. There
were/are P3 RAMBUS systems, Socket 423 P4 RAMBUS systems and Socket 478
RAMBUS systems. I am unaware of any Socket 423 systems WITHOUT RAMBUS,
but then I guess I have not seen every possible make and model of Socket
423, which I avoided like a plague and Windows Vista.

RAMBUS participated in the JEDEC memory committee, ostensibly a sharing
of information to provide for common interfaces and interchangable
memory parts. In so doing, RAMBUS provided a lot of intellectual
property, never revealing that it held patents on it. When DDR2 became
available, it used some of the principles exposed to JEDEC by RAMBUS,
and RAMBUS threw lawsuits at every memory manufacturer for patent
infringement. Some settled out of court, other lawsuits continue to
this day. Intel got pissed off at all the royalties and lawsuits and
capped its RAMBUS development with the last 850 chipset found in the
Dimension 8250. After that, no more RAMBUS support by Intel.

RAMBUS exists to this day as an intellectual property company, living
off royalties. For a while, they licensed RAMBUS memory designs for
Nintendo. Not sure where any of their designs or intellectual property
are used directly these days... Ben Myers
From: Sam on

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>> I would run manufacturer's diagnostics on the hard drive, open up the
> case and give the fans and processor heat sink a good cleaning. If
> neither of these improves the system and it still locks up, you could
> reinstall Windows to get rid of whatever strangeness has crept in.
>
> Intel pushed real hard for RAMBUS memory, especially for Pentium 4 systems
> which needed the speedy memory to reduce memory access bottlenecks. Dell
> (possibly the greatest numbers), HP, Compaq (when they were separate),
> Gateway, IBM (using Asus boards), and NEC all went for RAMBUS systems,
> positioning them correctly as high-end alternatives to SDRAM. Memory
> manufacturers Toshiba, Samsung, Infineon and other paid royalties to
> RAMBUS for every stick of memory manufactured. There were/are P3 RAMBUS
> systems, Socket 423 P4 RAMBUS systems and Socket 478 RAMBUS systems. I am
> unaware of any Socket 423 systems WITHOUT RAMBUS, but then I guess I have
> not seen every possible make and model of Socket 423, which I avoided like
> a plague and Windows Vista.
>
> RAMBUS participated in the JEDEC memory committee, ostensibly a sharing of
> information to provide for common interfaces and interchangable memory
> parts. In so doing, RAMBUS provided a lot of intellectual property, never
> revealing that it held patents on it. When DDR2 became available, it used
> some of the principles exposed to JEDEC by RAMBUS, and RAMBUS threw
> lawsuits at every memory manufacturer for patent infringement. Some
> settled out of court, other lawsuits continue to this day. Intel got
> pissed off at all the royalties and lawsuits and capped its RAMBUS
> development with the last 850 chipset found in the Dimension 8250. After
> that, no more RAMBUS support by Intel.
>
> RAMBUS exists to this day as an intellectual property company, living off
> royalties. For a while, they licensed RAMBUS memory designs for Nintendo.
> Not sure where any of their designs or intellectual property are used
> directly these days... Ben Myers

The system disk for this system is long gone and I wouldn't know what to
order. However, the Dell website is pretty good as you know. I visitm it
and plug in the service code for the system.
And I'll clean the fans & heat sinks.
That's for the informative walt down memory lane re: RDRAM.

Sam

From: Daave on
Sam wrote:
> Hi, I pulled out an old Dell Dimension 8200 w/ 512mb ram and Win Xp
> Pro and updated w/ sp3, Windows Essentials and all the other updates.
> What kind of memory does it use? I want to upgrade to 2gb if I ncan.
> I'm thinking I can probably pick up memory on eBay for it.
>
> The PC freezes up infrequently and I want to try a memory upgrade
> first.

I would imagine something else is responsible for the freezes. Low RAM
just means certain tasks take significantly longer since the pagefile is
heavily used.

If something else is responsible for the freezes, and if you can resolve
that problem, you might want to first determine if there is a need to
install more RAM. The only time this is necessary is if lots of paging
occurs. A quick way to determine if this is happening is to open Task
Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and click the Performance tab. Then note the
three values under Commit Charge (K): in the lower left-hand corner:
Total, Limit, and Peak.

The Total figure represents the amount of memory you are using at that
very moment. The Peak figure represents the highest amount of memory you
used since last bootup. If both these figures are below the value of
Physical Memory (K) Total, then you probably have plenty of RAM.
In case you want to explore this further, you may run Page File Monitor
for Windows XP:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm

From: Steve W. on
Sam wrote:

> The system disk for this system is long gone and I wouldn't know what to
> order. However, the Dell website is pretty good as you know. I visitm it
> and plug in the service code for the system.
> And I'll clean the fans & heat sinks.
> That's for the informative walt down memory lane re: RDRAM.
>

> Sam

Using an 8200 to type this.
This one had a freezing problem a LONG time ago. (still in warranty) at
the time I ran through a lot of tests and determined it was a bad
motherboard.
Dell sent me an updated one and it has been fine since.
Although I have replaced the OEM video card and the hard drives and the
fan. Other than that it just keeps going. Not the fastest machine in the
world but for the web and E-Mail it''s fine.

FYI the 8200 can handle up to 1 gig of memory.

--
Steve W.