From: Sam on
Hi, I pulled out an old Dell Dimension 8200 w/ 512mb ram and Win Xp Pro and
updated w/ sp3, Windows Essentials and all the other updates.
What kind of memory does it use? I want to upgrade to 2gb if I ncan.
I'm thinking I can probably pick up memory on eBay for it.

The PC freezes up infrequently and I want to try a memory upgrade first.

Thanks

Sam

From: skeeter on

"Sam" <sasdfas09(a)lkuy.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I pulled out an old Dell Dimension 8200 w/ 512mb ram and Win Xp Pro
> and updated w/ sp3, Windows Essentials and all the other updates.
> What kind of memory does it use? I want to upgrade to 2gb if I ncan.
> I'm thinking I can probably pick up memory on eBay for it.
>
> The PC freezes up infrequently and I want to try a memory upgrade first.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam

512 ain't much anymore.
From: Ben Myers on
On 2/6/2010 3:10 PM, Sam wrote:
> Hi, I pulled out an old Dell Dimension 8200 w/ 512mb ram and Win Xp Pro and
> updated w/ sp3, Windows Essentials and all the other updates.
> What kind of memory does it use? I want to upgrade to 2gb if I ncan.
> I'm thinking I can probably pick up memory on eBay for it.
>
> The PC freezes up infrequently and I want to try a memory upgrade first.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam

The Dimension 8200 system requires PC800-45 (or faster) RAMBUS memory.
To go to 2GB, you would need 4x512MB modules, which are pretty expensive
these days compared to DDR2 or even DDR. Before you invest in more
memory, I suggest that you take the time to figure out the cause of the
freezing up. There may be a hardware issue elsewhere, such as a hard
drive that is not in good health... Ben Myers
From: Pen on
On 2/6/2010 3:10 PM, Sam wrote:
> Hi, I pulled out an old Dell Dimension 8200 w/ 512mb ram and Win Xp Pro and
> updated w/ sp3, Windows Essentials and all the other updates.
> What kind of memory does it use? I want to upgrade to 2gb if I ncan.
> I'm thinking I can probably pick up memory on eBay for it.
>
> The PC freezes up infrequently and I want to try a memory upgrade first.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sam

It seems that Ebay has rdram for you, but a matched set will
probably run you $140 a questionable expense for this
computer. Docs are found at
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim8200/specs.htm#1101572
From: Sam on

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> The Dimension 8200 system requires PC800-45 (or faster) RAMBUS memory. To
> go to 2GB, you would need 4x512MB modules, which are pretty expensive
> these days compared to DDR2 or even DDR. Before you invest in more
> memory, I suggest that you take the time to figure out the cause of the
> freezing up. There may be a hardware issue elsewhere, such as a hard
> drive that is not in good health... Ben Myers

Good point. Now I remember one of the reasons (besides memory) why I
retired it was because of random freezes. I did notice today when it froze
up firefox was looking for ad-server then some other information behind the
"ad-server." I wonder if it's related to the freeze. Also, I noticed
Outlook Express had a active directory server listed but with null values so
i deleted it.

How do you suggest I check the hdd? Run chkdsk w/f?