From: Ben Myers on
On 2/7/2010 1:50 PM, Steve W. wrote:
> Sam wrote:
>>
>> The system disk for this system is long gone and I wouldn't know what to
>> order. However, the Dell website is pretty good as you know. I visitm it
>> and plug in the service code for the system.
>> And I'll clean the fans& heat sinks.
>> That's for the informative walt down memory lane re: RDRAM.
>>

>> Sam
>>

> Using an 8200 to type this.
> This one had a freezing problem a LONG time ago. (still in warranty) at
> the time I ran through a lot of tests and determined it was a bad
> motherboard.
> Dell sent me an updated one and it has been fine since.
> Although I have replaced the OEM video card and the hard drives and the
> fan. Other than that it just keeps going. Not the fastest machine in the
> world but for the web and E-Mail it''s fine.
>
> FYI the 8200 can handle up to 1 gig of memory.

The 8200 can handle up to 2GB of memory, with 4x512MB... Ben
From: Steve W. on
Ben Myers wrote:
> On 2/7/2010 1:50 PM, Steve W. wrote:
>> Sam wrote:
>>>
>>> The system disk for this system is long gone and I wouldn't know what to
>>> order. However, the Dell website is pretty good as you know. I
>>> visitm it
>>> and plug in the service code for the system.
>>> And I'll clean the fans& heat sinks.
>>> That's for the informative walt down memory lane re: RDRAM.
>>>

>>> Sam
>>>

>> Using an 8200 to type this.
>> This one had a freezing problem a LONG time ago. (still in warranty) at
>> the time I ran through a lot of tests and determined it was a bad
>> motherboard.
>> Dell sent me an updated one and it has been fine since.
>> Although I have replaced the OEM video card and the hard drives and the
>> fan. Other than that it just keeps going. Not the fastest machine in the
>> world but for the web and E-Mail it''s fine.
>>
>> FYI the 8200 can handle up to 1 gig of memory.
>>

> The 8200 can handle up to 2GB of memory, with 4x512MB... Ben

The book I on the 400 FSB models shows 1Gb as the max.
Online shows that the later 533 FSB units could go to 2 Gig.

Guess it depends on which one the OP has.

--
Steve W.
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> What kind of memory does it use?

RDRAM, probably PC800.

> I'm thinking I can probably pick up memory on eBay for it.

You can, but it will be very, very expensive. You could be better off
planning for a newer system. Lots of nice secondhand systems out there,
including the later (and blessedly RDRAM free) Dimension 8300 and 8400.

> The PC freezes up infrequently and I want to try a memory upgrade
> first.

How hard does it freeze? Do you lose all control (can't move the mouse,
keyboard "lock" LEDs don't go on and off when you hit the respective keys)
or does it seem like the system is just trying to come up for air (hard disk
light on solid, lots of "churning" sounds)?

You could have a failing hard drive, but I'd strongly advise you NOT to run
CHKDSK on it. CHKDSK is a brutish tool that will favor file system
correction over your data, which it will toss aside with reckless abandon in
order to put the file system "right" again.

The disk manufacturer's diagnostic, HDAT2 or even GRC SpinRite would be a
MUCH better idea.

William

From: RnR on
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:10:19 -0500, "Sam" <sasdfas09(a)lkuy.com> wrote:

>Hi, I pulled out an old Dell Dimension 8200 w/ 512mb ram and Win Xp Pro and
>updated w/ sp3, Windows Essentials and all the other updates.
>What kind of memory does it use? I want to upgrade to 2gb if I ncan.
>I'm thinking I can probably pick up memory on eBay for it.
>
>The PC freezes up infrequently and I want to try a memory upgrade first.
>
>Thanks
>
>Sam

Just in case you decide you don't want to risk the data and to add to
William's post, you might want to make a backup to another physical
drive before any hard drive diags/testing. And I agree with William
that Spinrite as well as some HD mfgrs diags are likely the best
choices to run tests on your hard drive before any others. Often you
can download the mfgr HD diags for free from their website. Spinrite
in the past was not free (not sure now).
From: Ben Myers on
On 2/8/2010 7:28 AM, RnR wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:10:19 -0500, "Sam"<sasdfas09(a)lkuy.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I pulled out an old Dell Dimension 8200 w/ 512mb ram and Win Xp Pro and
>> updated w/ sp3, Windows Essentials and all the other updates.
>> What kind of memory does it use? I want to upgrade to 2gb if I ncan.
>> I'm thinking I can probably pick up memory on eBay for it.
>>
>> The PC freezes up infrequently and I want to try a memory upgrade first.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Sam
>>

> Just in case you decide you don't want to risk the data and to add to
> William's post, you might want to make a backup to another physical
> drive before any hard drive diags/testing. And I agree with William
> that Spinrite as well as some HD mfgrs diags are likely the best
> choices to run tests on your hard drive before any others. Often you
> can download the mfgr HD diags for free from their website. Spinrite
> in the past was not free (not sure now).

As a quick overall test of hard drive sanity, HDAT2 is very good because
it allows one to view the SMART data, especially the info maintained by
the drive about relocated sectors, pending relocated sectors, maximum
temperature of the drive ever, etc.

The only fly in the ointment is that some drive manufacturers do not
comply with the alleged industry standard for SMART, so there will
sometimes be wildly improbable SMART values, as with Fujitsu drives.

As far as I know, EVERY hard drive manufacturer still in business today
EXCEPT TOSHIBA has a free download of diagnostics for its brand of
drives. And Toshiba? Who knows? They ain't talking. This is one very
good reason not to specify or buy Toshiba drives, which coincidentally
seem to have worse reliability than other 2.5" drives.

.... Ben Myers