From: Ted Perlman on
I recorded in all the major NY studios. There was no "magic" in any of them,
no special "sound", etc. If the song was good, the musicians jelled, the
producer didn't pisss everybody off, and the engineer was good, then there
was "magic". I've done many crappy sessions in great rooms, and great
sessions in crappy rooms. So, just go and buy Jim Roseberry's drums or use
EZ Drummer. Both of those have better drum sounds than any that were ever
gotten in any NY studio. That's the truth. I was there.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman
Producer-Arranger-Guitarist-Composer-Engineer
www.tedperlman.com
www.myspace.com/tedperlman
www.facebook.com/ted.perlman

From: Ted Perlman on
<I have Jim Roseberry's Purrrfect Drums, but I never liked anything about
them but the cymbals>

I like the snares and kicks, but I agree with you - the cymbals are
spectacular. They have been my go-to cymbals for many years now.

I think Jim is working on a aother drum sound set. Should be killer!

I have one thing to add to the studio sound thread - there was a studio in
NY call Media Sound. It was a converted church. They had a few normal studio
rooms, but the best one was where the actual church hall was. That room
sounded incredible. They would set up baffles to change the size of the room
according to the session. But for guitar amps, drums, and vocals - wow!