From: Rod Speed on
larry moe 'n curly wrote:
> Arno wrote:
>>
>> larry moe 'n curly <larrymoencurly(a)my-deja.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Why did two Hitachi 7K1000.C hard drives stink during a 15-minute
>>> seek test (Hitachi's Feature Tool temperature test) but no other
>>> brands of 7200 RPM drives did during a similar seek test? All
>>> drives were tested outside the computer and still work fine (pass
>>> Drive Fitness Test, no clicking sounds or pauses). I couldn't
>>> pinpoint the source of the smell and didn't see any discoloration
>>> or damage, although I didn't look on the inner side of the circuit
>>> board.
>>
>> What temperatures did they reach?
>
> The Hitachi Feature Tool program said it rose from 40C before the test
> (drive had been spinning an hour) to 49C. An infrared thermometer
> said the aluminum body was 51C, as were most of the chips, except the
> big square one, which went up to 65C.

Thats unlikely to produce a stink unless they have done something stupid with the foam.

From: Arno on
larry moe 'n curly <larrymoencurly(a)my-deja.com> wrote:

> Arno wrote:
>>
>> larry moe 'n curly <larrymoencurly(a)my-deja.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Why did two Hitachi 7K1000.C hard drives stink during a 15-minute seek
>> > test (Hitachi's Feature Tool temperature test) but no other brands of
>> > 7200 RPM drives did during a similar seek test? All drives were
>> > tested outside the computer and still work fine (pass Drive Fitness
>> > Test, no clicking sounds or pauses). I couldn't pinpoint the source
>> > of the smell and didn't see any discoloration or damage, although I
>> > didn't look on the inner side of the circuit board.
>>
>> What temperatures did they reach?

> The Hitachi Feature Tool program said it rose from 40C before the test
> (drive had been spinning an hour) to 49C. An infrared thermometer
> said the aluminum body was 51C, as were most of the chips, except the
> big square one, which went up to 65C.

That is not enough to burn anything. Possibly some contamination.
Does it smell like synthetic oil? In that case it could be a
leak in the fluid bearings. That would be sooner or later
catastrophic...

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <25d18ab6-0a78-4db4-b694-21617dad605d(a)k24g2000pro.googlegroup
s.com>, larry moe 'n curly <larrymoencurly(a)my-deja.com> writes

>The Hitachi Feature Tool program said it rose from 40C before the test
>(drive had been spinning an hour) to 49C. An infrared thermometer
>said the aluminum body was 51C, as were most of the chips, except the
>big square one, which went up to 65C.

Bit too warm. Look to your cooling.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

From: davy on

How about varnish smell? possibly from the motor windings.... you don't
have a cat do you :D ?

Yeah, I've repaired Telly's and video's, some have been write-offs, as
though the cat widdled ferric chloide (stuff used for etching copper to
make the 'printed circuit'. :D

Seriously, another cause could be leaking capacitors!

davy

From: Arno on
davy <davy.48doy3(a)no.email.invalid> wrote:

> How about varnish smell? possibly from the motor windings.... you don't
> have a cat do you :D ?

The motors are sealed.

> Yeah, I've repaired Telly's and video's, some have been write-offs, as
> though the cat widdled ferric chloide (stuff used for etching copper to
> make the 'printed circuit'. :D

I think cats use something far more agressive ;-)

> Seriously, another cause could be leaking capacitors!

Not really. You rarely find any electrolyte capacitors on
modern HDDs and if then only as low-load input filters. The
filters in switchers (e.g. motor regulator) are al ceramic
on HDDs due to size restrictions.

Arno