From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

I think it could have had something to do with the foam pad that separates
the board from the drive body on many drives. Whatever chemicals make it up
may not have been fully cured.

Looking at older drives from various makers, I do see discoloration to the
foam where the ICs pressed into it got hot. The texture remains foamy, and
it's not dried out. It's just brown (from heat?).

Or maybe you were about to push the drive(s) into failure? I do think (based
on your temperature readings) that things were getting a bit warm. It may be
a good idea to turn a fan on the drives so some air is going over them.

William

From: chrisv on
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

>Why did two Hitachi 7K1000.C hard drives stink during a 15-minute seek
>test (Hitachi's Feature Tool temperature test) but no other brands of
>7200 RPM drives did during a similar seek test? All drives were
>tested outside the computer and still work fine (pass Drive Fitness
>Test, no clicking sounds or pauses). I couldn't pinpoint the source
>of the smell and didn't see any discoloration or damage, although I
>didn't look on the inner side of the circuit board.

Pure nonsense. The slimers claim that these things are failing by the
tuckload. It is clearly obvious to everyone that they are NOT failing
in any significant quantities. The slime campaign is now debunked and
the wackos went off to Jonestown and did a cult poll in frustration.

(Copyright "IBM Ronnie" Reaugh)

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <9kh6r5hevj06djjh1gebqa38sdp101l0pk(a)4ax.com>, chrisv
<chrisv(a)nospam.invalid> writes

>(Copyright "IBM Ronnie" Reaugh)

God, that's a blast from the past. Wonder what happened to him?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

From: Rod Speed on
John Turco wrote
> Mike Tomlinson wrote
>> chrisv <chrisv(a)nospam.invalid> write

>>> (Copyright "IBM Ronnie" Reaugh)

>> God, that's a blast from the past. Wonder what happened to him?

> The real question is: Where's comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage's
> top troll, of all time...Folkert Rienstra?

> Google Groups </http://groups.google.com> indicates that
> he posted his last Usenet message, on September 19, 2008.

The GFC saw the loony bin goons take away his usenet access forever.