From: larry moe 'n curly on
Why did two Hitachi 7K1000.C hard drives stink during a 15-minute seek
test (Hitachi's Feature Tool temperature test) but no other brands of
7200 RPM drives did during a similar seek test? All drives were
tested outside the computer and still work fine (pass Drive Fitness
Test, no clicking sounds or pauses). I couldn't pinpoint the source
of the smell and didn't see any discoloration or damage, although I
didn't look on the inner side of the circuit board.
From: Rod Speed on
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> Why did two Hitachi 7K1000.C hard drives stink during a 15-minute
> seek test (Hitachi's Feature Tool temperature test) but no other
> brands of 7200 RPM drives did during a similar seek test? All drives
> were tested outside the computer and still work fine (pass Drive Fitness
> Test, no clicking sounds or pauses). I couldn't pinpoint the source
> of the smell and didn't see any discoloration or damage, although I
> didn't look on the inner side of the circuit board.

What sort of smell was it ? Stinking hot type smell ?

Maybe those drives fart when they have to work too hard.

From: Arno on
larry moe 'n curly <larrymoencurly(a)my-deja.com> wrote:
> Why did two Hitachi 7K1000.C hard drives stink during a 15-minute seek
> test (Hitachi's Feature Tool temperature test) but no other brands of
> 7200 RPM drives did during a similar seek test? All drives were
> tested outside the computer and still work fine (pass Drive Fitness
> Test, no clicking sounds or pauses). I couldn't pinpoint the source
> of the smell and didn't see any discoloration or damage, although I
> didn't look on the inner side of the circuit board.

What temperatures did they reach?

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: larry moe 'n curly on

Rod Speed wrote:

> larry moe 'n curly wrote:
>
> > Why did two Hitachi 7K1000.C hard drives stink during a 15-minute
> > seek test (Hitachi's Feature Tool temperature test) but no other
> > brands of 7200 RPM drives did during a similar seek test? All drives
> > were tested outside the computer and still work fine (pass Drive Fitness
> > Test, no clicking sounds or pauses). I couldn't pinpoint the source
> > of the smell and didn't see any discoloration or damage, although I
> > didn't look on the inner side of the circuit board.
>
> What sort of smell was it ? Stinking hot type smell ?
>
> Maybe those drives fart when they have to work too hard.

The smell wasn't like fiberglass-epoxy circuit board material, unless
they now use a different resin I removed the circuit boards but
didn't find anything on the other side, either. I suspect the stink
came from the layer of sponge under the PCB or the adhesive for the
sponge.
From: larry moe 'n curly on

Arno wrote:

> larry moe 'n curly <larrymoencurly(a)my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > Why did two Hitachi 7K1000.C hard drives stink during a 15-minute seek
> > test (Hitachi's Feature Tool temperature test) but no other brands of
> > 7200 RPM drives did during a similar seek test? All drives were
> > tested outside the computer and still work fine (pass Drive Fitness
> > Test, no clicking sounds or pauses). I couldn't pinpoint the source
> > of the smell and didn't see any discoloration or damage, although I
> > didn't look on the inner side of the circuit board.
>
> What temperatures did they reach?

The Hitachi Feature Tool program said it rose from 40C before the test
(drive had been spinning an hour) to 49C. An infrared thermometer
said the aluminum body was 51C, as were most of the chips, except the
big square one, which went up to 65C.