From: Howard Brazee on

I was thinking about my retirement, and I have written CoBOL programs
that figured out puzzles and fun stuff. My choice of languages is
based upon being a competent CoBOL programmer.

Let's say I want to write a Sudoko puzzler, a Rubic's Cube solver, or
a word puzzle solver. My home computer is a Mac and I expect this
won't change when I retire.

What languages would you recommend for such a person?

- James Madison
From: Alistair on
On Jul 19, 4:44 pm, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> I was thinking about my retirement, and I have written CoBOL programs
> that figured out puzzles and fun stuff.   My choice of languages is
> based upon being a competent CoBOL programmer.
>
> Let's say I want to write a Sudoko puzzler, a Rubic's Cube solver, or
> a word puzzle solver.   My home computer is a Mac and I expect this
> won't change when I retire.
>
> What languages would you recommend for such a person?
>
> --
> "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
> than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
> to the legislature, and not to the executive department."
>
> - James Madison

Try z390 Assembler. It might work on Macs but you would be best
advised to contact Don Higgins and ask him first.

Also, you could try BEFUNGE. This is a language which deliberately
obfuscates code so it could be fun.

Finally, SQL can be used to write a Sudoku solver (I have the code
somewhere). You would probably need the free version of MS SQL Server.

Wikipedia has a page devoted to a listing of different languages and
their attributes (Sorry but I couldn't find it but it is in the other
Wiki sections).
From: robertwessel2 on
On Jul 19, 10:44 am, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> I was thinking about my retirement, and I have written CoBOL programs
> that figured out puzzles and fun stuff.   My choice of languages is
> based upon being a competent CoBOL programmer.
>
> Let's say I want to write a Sudoko puzzler, a Rubic's Cube solver, or
> a word puzzle solver.   My home computer is a Mac and I expect this
> won't change when I retire.
>
> What languages would you recommend for such a person?

For such tasks, a functional language like Haskell would probably be
your best bet.
From: Pete Dashwood on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> I was thinking about my retirement, and I have written CoBOL programs
> that figured out puzzles and fun stuff. My choice of languages is
> based upon being a competent CoBOL programmer.
>
> Let's say I want to write a Sudoko puzzler, a Rubic's Cube solver, or
> a word puzzle solver. My home computer is a Mac and I expect this
> won't change when I retire.
>
> What languages would you recommend for such a person?

Why not do it in COBOL if that is what you are comfortable with?

(COBOL stringing/unstringing facilities might be very useful for a word
puzzler...)

Procedural things like puzzle solving can be adequately done in COBOL
although the solution may take a little more writing than in another
language.

The real challenge is in devising the solution algorithm. Once you have done
that, as Sir Ernest Rutherford remarked: "The rest is stamp collecting."

Really, it is only the user interface that might be easier in something like
..NET or VB. I would write the "engine" as separate from the interface
(communicate through a single block (to simplify parameter passing) that
contains data and response), and then you can plug it into a web page or the
desktop.

Pete.

From: Richard on
On Jul 20, 3:44 am, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> I was thinking about my retirement, and I have written CoBOL programs
> that figured out puzzles and fun stuff.   My choice of languages is
> based upon being a competent CoBOL programmer.
>
> Let's say I want to write a Sudoko puzzler, a Rubic's Cube solver, or
> a word puzzle solver.   My home computer is a Mac and I expect this
> won't change when I retire.
>
> What languages would you recommend for such a person?

OpenCOBOL is free and is alleged to run on a Mac.

http://www.opencobol.org/

I would suggest that you could run it under a web server to give a
user interface on the browser. SVG graphics is supported by Safari.

If you want a different language then I use Python for most everything
and it runs on almost every machine from phones to supercomputers.