From: Abradaxis on
My wife and I share a wi-fi network at home, each of us with our own pcs
running Windows XP SP3. Is there any way, or any instructions, for setting
up a file which we can both access from each of our pcs, each with the
ability of updating the file. The file that I want to have dual access to is
the Palm Pilot scheduling file, so that each of us can have access to what
is scheduled by both of us. It would be accessed and viewed by Palm Desktop.
Utilizing the file by Palm is not the issue, it is access to the file by
both computers, much as if it were an Excel, Word or other such file. Any
help or guidance greatly appreciated.

From: Bob Lucas on
I am not familiar with Palm Pilot, so I don't know whether the
program's scheduling files must be located in a single folder, or
whether you can save a scheduling file anywhere on your hard
drive.

There are several methods to achieve what you want to do. The
following suggestion assumes that Palm Pilot is able to access
scheduling files, irrespective of their location on the hard
drive.

1. If you have not done so previously, you will need to
configure both computers to access files via your local wi-fi
network. To do so, open Control Panel of each computer - and run
the Network set-up wizard (on both computers). The wizard will
configure Windows XP firewalls to enable Computer A to access
shared files on Computer B and vice versa. If you are using a
different firewall or security software, you will almost
certainly need to configure the alternative firewall to permit
networking.

2. Now, you have two options.

Option a. On Computer A, open Windows Explorer and navigate to
the folder that contains your Palm scheduling files. Right click
on the folder name and click on 'Properties'. Select 'Sharing'
and check the boxes marked 'Share this folder on the network' and
'Allow network users to change my files'. Save your changes.

Option b. On Computer A, open Windows Explorer and navigate to
the folder at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared
Documents. Move an existing Palm scheduling file or create a new
Palm scheduling file in the Shared Documents folder.

3. On Computer B, click on 'Start', followed by 'My Network
Places'. The list of Network places should include the Shared
Documents folder on Computer A. If the Palm scheduler file is
in a different location on Computer A, you should be able to see
it in that folder. Use Palm Pilot to open the file.

4. As a further enhancement, you could consider using the
Windows XP Briefcase utility. To do so, right click anywhere on
the Desktop of Computer B. Then, click on New, followed by
Briefcase. That will create a 'Briefcase folder on the Desktop
of Computer B.

5. Click on 'Start', followed by 'My Network Places'. The
list of Network places on Computer B should include the Shared
Documents folder on Computer A. If the Palm scheduler file is
in a different location on Computer A, you should be able to see
that shared folder.

6. From My Network Places on Computer B, open the folder that
contains the Palm scheduler file. Right click on the name of the
file and click on 'Copy'.

7. Open the Briefcase folder from the Desktop of Computer B
and click on Edit / Paste. The Master copy of the Scheduler file
will remain on Computer A. The Briefcase on Computer B will
contain an exact copy.

8. The Briefcase utility allows the user of Computer B to
synchronize his copy with the master file at any time.
Synchronization is a two-way process. The only proviso is that
synchronization fails, if there have been changes to the file
versions on both computers since the previous synchronization.