From: The Black Comet on

The problem started after I found out that adobe reader was not working.
I went to add/remove programs and repaired the program. During this,
the computer froze for a little bit and I exited out of the repair.
After this, my CPU runs at a baseline of 50% instead of the usual 0% I
have tried disabling windows update and have run all of the
antivirus/antispyware software on my computer and it is clean.

The svchost.exe that is causing the problem is labeled as system and
killing it in task manager forces a shut down and restart. I have used
process explorer and found that running under the specific svchost are
unsecapp.exe, wmiprvse.exe, and rapimgr.exe

If I restart my computer without connecting it to the internet, CPU
usage is back to normal, but after a few minutes, the baseline goes back
up to 50%.

Additional information
Lenovo thinkpad T610
Windows XP sp3

--
The Black Comet
The Black Comet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/219093.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Iceman on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:33:34 -0500, The Black Comet wrote in message

> The problem started after I found out that adobe reader was not working.
> I went to add/remove programs and repaired the program. During this,
> the computer froze for a little bit and I exited out of the repair.
> After this, my CPU runs at a baseline of 50% instead of the usual 0% I
> have tried disabling windows update and have run all of the
> antivirus/antispyware software on my computer and it is clean.
>
> The svchost.exe that is causing the problem is labeled as system and
> killing it in task manager forces a shut down and restart. I have used
> process explorer and found that running under the specific svchost are
> unsecapp.exe, wmiprvse.exe, and rapimgr.exe
>
> If I restart my computer without connecting it to the internet, CPU
> usage is back to normal, but after a few minutes, the baseline goes back
> up to 50%.
>
> Additional information
> Lenovo thinkpad T610
> Windows XP sp3

Since your problem started with Adobe Reader, you could try un- and
reinstalling it, or try another PDF reader, like Foxit. Adobe is a bit of a
resources hog.

And sorry for this (very) late answer.
From: Jose on
On May 11, 1:33 pm, The Black Comet <The.Black.Comet.
4at...(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> The problem started after I found out that adobe reader was not working.
> I went to add/remove programs and repaired the program.  During this,
> the computer froze for a little bit and I exited out of the repair.
> After this, my CPU runs at a baseline of 50% instead of the usual 0% I
> have tried disabling windows update and have run all of the
> antivirus/antispyware software on my computer and it is clean.
>
> The svchost.exe that is causing the problem is labeled as system and
> killing it in task manager forces a shut down and restart.  I have used
> process explorer and found that running under the specific svchost are
> unsecapp.exe, wmiprvse.exe, and rapimgr.exe
>
> If I restart my computer without connecting it to the internet, CPU
> usage is back to normal, but after a few minutes, the baseline goes back
> up to 50%.
>
> Additional information
> Lenovo thinkpad T610
> Windows XP sp3
>
> --
> The Black Comet
> The Black Comet's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/219093.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1336020.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

If you suspect Adobe reader, just uninstall it completely, reboot and
see if you still have the problem. If you still have a problem,
resume troubleshooting without Adobe in the way or being suspicious
Adobe reader is free to download again anytime.

For some free things like Adobe, if they get suspicious, just
uninstall and reinstall - don't try to repair them because then you
will always wonder if the repair "worked" or not, so just uninstall/
reinstall to be sure. I am the save way with things like Java - if it
starts acting goofy or suspicious and I see there are 10 updates in
Add/Remove programs that are confusing me, I will just uninstall the
whole mess, reboot and install the latest copy. Then there are no
questions about did the repair work or not.

If you repair or install Adobe, it will add two things to your startup
configuration that you can probably do without.

AdobeARM
Reader_sl

While Adobe is reluctant to answer technical questions about their
free software, you can read with some Googling that these have to do
with Adobe updates and Adobe speed launcher. I don't really care what
they do.

I always disable those two things via msconfig (this does not
uninstall anything) and Adobe seems to figure out by itself when
updates are available for download anyway, so I don't need their stuff
checking for me and taking up my precious CPU cycles and memory. If
you think there is an issue with them disabled, just enable them
again.

Not having those two Adobe items in my startup cuts 18.02 seconds off
my boot time and my PDF files always work just fine.

A side note:

I take the same approach for the the Java Quick Starter service
(disable it) and that cuts 27.26 seconds off my boot time.

Some folks with CPU and memory to spare may advocate leaving these
"quick and speed helpers" in, but for me, I don't think I need any of
them and know (through measuring) that every system will boot faster
without them,