From: sherman on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:28:45 -0400, Laura Fredericks
<anonomiss(a)CLOTHEShotmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:50:06 -0400, sherman wrote in post:
>>I have really tried just about anything I could find on the Internet
>>to make my Eudora send a message through the Verizon SMTP server.
>>There was nothing wrong with my SMTP server from HostGator.com.
>>SEND just stopped working two days ago after 6 months of operation
>>with Verizon FIOS. The HostGator people told me that there is
>>nothing wrong with their server.
>
>Here's the settings you need if you use hostgator for e-mail
>sending/receiving and Eudora for your e-mail client. It shouldn't
>matter what ISP you use.
>
>Note, these settings assume you're using your domain e-mail account
>as your DEFAULT ACCOUNT, and NOT your ISP's e-mail account.
>
>FROM EUDORA's MENU:
>
>TOOLS
>- - - -->OPTIONS
>
>INCOMING MAIL
>Server configuration: mail.yourdomainname.com (or .net, etc.)
>Authentication style: Passwords
>
>SENDING MAIL
>SMTP server: mail.yourdomainname.com (or .net, etc.)
>Authentication allowed
>Secure Sockets when Sending: If Available: STARTTLS
>
>If you're using your domain's e-mail ONLY for "Personalities",
>right-click on each Personality you've already created and
>make sure these are your settings. Note, you need to add "+" after
>your addy.
>
>GENERIC PROPERTIES
>User Name: addy+yourdomainname.com (or .net, etc.)
>SMTP server: mail.yourdomainname.com (or .net, etc.)
>Authentication allowed
>Secure Sockets when Sending: If Available, STARTTLS
>
>INCOMING MAIL
>Server: mail.yourdomainname.com (or .net, etc.)
>Configuration: POP
>Authentication style: Passwords
>Secure Sockets when Receiving:If Available, STARTTLS
>
>NOTES:
>
>Open your eudora.ini file in Notepad and go to "Persona" for each
>domain personality. Correct setting is:
>
>SMTPport=26
>
>For all Personalities that use your ISP's e-mail server, it *should*
>be SMTPport 25, but if that doesn't work try 26.

Thank you very much, Laura. I appreciate it. As I said in my response
to John, above, HostGator has changed the SMTP port from 25 to 26!
Quel dommage!

sherman
From: Han on
sherman wrote in news:mng9161qm44g4pueihhiohlqsrcvfbuf0f(a)4ax.com:

> [...]
>>because not every _hosting_ company's outgoing server
>>(the outgoing server that you are actually using)
>>is going to do the exact same thing as Verizon.
>>
>>Are you sure that HostGator had no idea what might be the matter?
>>http://support.hostgator.com/articles/e-mail/are-you-able-to-receive-em
>>ails-but-not-send
>>
>>The only not so satisfactory thing about the above article by
>>HostGator is that it specifies a non-standard port number (26) to try,
>>despite the fact that port 587 (as you see Verizon using,
>>so do Comcast, Hotmail, MSN, Gmail and many others) is far more
>>standard, as is port 465 with SSL (offered also by Comcast, ATT,
>>Yahoo, Gmail, etc.)
>>
>>It is possible to adjust Eudora to use port 26 if there's no better
>>setting, but perhaps you should try to find someone more knowledgeable
>>at HostGator, to get some true information first, that will work with
>>your own account (some web pages upon which we can stumble using a web
>>search are not necessarily up to date, which could easily lead
>>to another "wild goose chase")
>>
>>> I do have a verizon.net ID and password. I also know that
>>> the Verizon SMTP server is outgoing.verizon.net
>>> I keep getting this "nightmare" (by now) response:
>>> 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required
>>
>>If your _incoming_ server is HostGator's (or anyone but Verizon's),
>>then its password (and/or user name)
>>will not work for Verizon's _outgoing_ server,
>>so Verizon will first fail to authenticate you,
>>then it will refuse to send the message because of that failure.
>>
>>I would try to continue using HostGator's outgoing server
>>(after you get its proper info), because there have been some cases
>>where even if you fix things to properly authenticate with Verizon,
>>Verizon _might_ object to your sending outgoing mail
>>with a "From:" address that isn't Verizon's,
>>which would also be one more way to start chasing other wild geese.
>>
>>A systematic approach to things is often more productive
>>than running in random directions or firing a shotgun without aiming.
>>
>>Here is a possibly similar case related to Verizon,
>>which in turn contains a link to an even longer wild goose chase,
>>all because of not sitting down and sorting out the facts,
>>the way Sherlock Holmes always did:
>>http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=15243
>>

>>Sherlock Holmes And The Great Outdoors
>>http://www.abcarcade.com/sherlock-holmes.html
>
> John, I thank you so much. They changed the SMTP port at HostGator
> from 25 to 26! When I asked them about my problem, they told me
> nothing like that.
> BTW, my problem with Verizon was due to the fact that Verizon never
> registered me! Can you believei it? I spent 30 minutes with one of
> their techs and he could not register me either, although my
> registration name was available. I am still waiting for his phone call
> right now. As you can see, I could not use their SMTP port,
> outgoing.verizon.net, because my ID was unknown to the system,

At some point during a screwup about my email addresses, I was helped by
someone who could "point" my old adress to the new address. I used to
have nickname email adresses like x.yz(a)verizon.net (made up). During the
change from DSL to FiOS (or was it during the change to DSL, I don't
remember) I was assigned new email addresses like vz.gr(a)verizon.net, and
the old ones were put on the waiting for recycle list. I blew my stack,
since the old address ("x.yz(a)verizon.net") was used for bills etc. They
"graciously" then reactivated the old addresses, but pointed them as
extra nicknames to the new one.

So the old previously assigned address can indeed be reactivated so
people who use it to reach you (mortgage, utilities, etc) can still reach
you.

OF COURSE, Verizon email is so untrustworthy that any other email address
is preferable for real business or personal use. I now only use the
Verizon addresses as "spamtrap". My gmail accoun picks up the vz email
and properly sorts it into spam (most) and worthwhile (a few).

--
Best regards
Han
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/13/2010 6:42 AM, sherman wrote:

> They changed the SMTP port at HostGator from 25 to 26!

It seems more likely that HostGator didn't change anything,
but simply accepts SMTP connections on BOTH port 25 and port 26.

Meanwhile, Verizon started blocking port 25.

Therefore, if you simply continue using HostGator's SMTP,
but change the port spec in Eudora to port 26,
this should bypass Verizon's blocking.

Laura F. has indicated one way to set port 26 in Eudora.

Or, if you no longer need to use port 25 for ANY outgoing server,
here's a method that can change the default port from 25 to 26
for ALL personalities that are otherwise set to use port 25:

"Changing Ports for Sending/Receiving (Win)"
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1501hq.html

Change _only_ the default SMTP port, from 25 to 26.

Note that any change of port numbers 25, 110, or 143 via this plugin
would apply to ALL personalities trying to use these port numbers,
which is why we _don't_ use this plugin or the "Ports" settings category
to change any _individual_ personality to any other _standard_ port number.

That is, ports 587, 465, 995 and 993 can all be set individually,
per personality, in the normal settings interface,
so we do not and should not use the "Ports" category
for any of those four other commonly used port numbers.

> BTW, my problem with Verizon was due to the fact
> that Verizon never registered me!

If you have HostGator's POP server specified,
either in your main settings or in another personality,
and if what you did was to replace the HostGator SMTP server
with Verizon's SMTP server, in the formerly "all HostGator" personality,
then you still won't be able to send mail,
unless by coincidence both your username and password
are the same at both Verizon and HostGator.

But we're all guessing, because you haven't stated
how you've set up Eudora, e.g.:

Dominant: Incoming and outgoing server names.
Persona2 (if any): Incoming and outgoing server names.
Etc.

Only such info would make it certain what you are trying to accomplish,
but if you were succeeding before when using HostGator's SMTP server,
and if things stopped connecting only when Verizon started blocking port 25,
then it seems highly likely that using the original HostGator server,
just changing its port number spec to 26, would solve the problem,
by making only the simplest possible change.