From: sherman on
I have really tried just about anything I could find on the Internet
to make my Eudora send a message through the Verizon SMTP server.
There was nothing wrong with my SMTP server from HostGator.com.
SEND just stopped working two days ago after 6 months of operation
with Verizon FIOS. The HostGator people told me that there is nothing
wrong with their server.
I do have a verizon.net ID and password. I also know that the
Verizon SMTP server is outgoing.verizon.net.
I keep getting this "nightmare" (by now) response:

550 5.7.1 Authentication Required

Please help!

Thank you!

sherman
From: sherman on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:50:06 -0400, sherman wrote:

>I have really tried just about anything I could find on the Internet
>to make my Eudora send a message through the Verizon SMTP server.
>There was nothing wrong with my SMTP server from HostGator.com.
>SEND just stopped working two days ago after 6 months of operation
>with Verizon FIOS. The HostGator people told me that there is nothing
>wrong with their server.
>I do have a verizon.net ID and password. I also know that the
>Verizon SMTP server is outgoing.verizon.net.
>I keep getting this "nightmare" (by now) response:
>
>550 5.7.1 Authentication Required
>
>Please help!
>
>Thank you!
>
>sherman

I forgot to add that I do have the FIOS setting for my Internet.

sherman
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/10/2010 11:50 PM, sherman wrote:

> I have really tried just about anything I could find on the Internet
> to make my Eudora send a message through the Verizon SMTP server.
> There was nothing wrong with my SMTP server from HostGator.com.
> SEND just stopped working two days ago after 6 months of operation
> with Verizon FIOS. The HostGator people told me
> that there is nothing wrong with their server.

"Stopped working" stops short of conveying everything needed;
has there ever been a "stopped working" that isn't accompanied
by a specific error message or a more clearly describable result,
to help narrow down a list of perhaps dozens of theoretical possibilities
for every possible way of "not working"?

The word "Verizon," however, may suggest a possibility;
are you sure that Verizon didn't already warn you in advance
about anything that was going to "stop working"?

How about this:
http://verizon.net/port25
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/35904533/verizon-port-25.aspx

Before rushing to do what one thinks the above to mean,
note that Verizon is announcing there
that the port number for _their own_ outgoing server
has to be changed from 25 to 587.

However, if you were using _someone else's_ outgoing server on port 25,
and if Verizon has started completely blocking that port,
you have to check with the _other_ (hosting) company,
to see what possible alternative _they_ may provide,
because not every _hosting_ company's outgoing server
(the outgoing server that you are actually using)
is going to do the exact same thing as Verizon.

Are you sure that HostGator had no idea what might be the matter?
http://support.hostgator.com/articles/e-mail/are-you-able-to-receive-emails-but-not-send

The only not so satisfactory thing about the above article by HostGator
is that it specifies a non-standard port number (26) to try,
despite the fact that port 587 (as you see Verizon using,
so do Comcast, Hotmail, MSN, Gmail and many others) is far more standard,
as is port 465 with SSL (offered also by Comcast, ATT, Yahoo, Gmail, etc.)

It is possible to adjust Eudora to use port 26 if there's no better setting,
but perhaps you should try to find someone more knowledgeable at HostGator,
to get some true information first, that will work with your own account
(some web pages upon which we can stumble using a web search
are not necessarily up to date, which could easily lead
to another "wild goose chase")

> I do have a verizon.net ID and password. I also know that
> the Verizon SMTP server is outgoing.verizon.net
> I keep getting this "nightmare" (by now) response:
> 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required

If your _incoming_ server is HostGator's (or anyone but Verizon's),
then its password (and/or user name)
will not work for Verizon's _outgoing_ server,
so Verizon will first fail to authenticate you,
then it will refuse to send the message because of that failure.

I would try to continue using HostGator's outgoing server
(after you get its proper info), because there have been some cases
where even if you fix things to properly authenticate with Verizon,
Verizon _might_ object to your sending outgoing mail
with a "From:" address that isn't Verizon's,
which would also be one more way to start chasing other wild geese.

A systematic approach to things is often more productive
than running in random directions or firing a shotgun without aiming.

Here is a possibly similar case related to Verizon,
which in turn contains a link to an even longer wild goose chase,
all because of not sitting down and sorting out the facts,
the way Sherlock Holmes always did:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=15243

Sherlock Holmes And The Great Outdoors
http://www.abcarcade.com/sherlock-holmes.html

From: Laura Fredericks on

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:50:06 -0400, sherman wrote in post:
>I have really tried just about anything I could find on the Internet
>to make my Eudora send a message through the Verizon SMTP server.
>There was nothing wrong with my SMTP server from HostGator.com.
>SEND just stopped working two days ago after 6 months of operation
>with Verizon FIOS. The HostGator people told me that there is
>nothing wrong with their server.

Here's the settings you need if you use hostgator for e-mail
sending/receiving and Eudora for your e-mail client. It shouldn't
matter what ISP you use.

Note, these settings assume you're using your domain e-mail account
as your DEFAULT ACCOUNT, and NOT your ISP's e-mail account.

FROM EUDORA's MENU:

TOOLS
- - - -->OPTIONS

INCOMING MAIL
Server configuration: mail.yourdomainname.com (or .net, etc.)
Authentication style: Passwords

SENDING MAIL
SMTP server: mail.yourdomainname.com (or .net, etc.)
Authentication allowed
Secure Sockets when Sending: If Available: STARTTLS

If you're using your domain's e-mail ONLY for "Personalities",
right-click on each Personality you've already created and
make sure these are your settings. Note, you need to add "+" after
your addy.

GENERIC PROPERTIES
User Name: addy+yourdomainname.com (or .net, etc.)
SMTP server: mail.yourdomainname.com (or .net, etc.)
Authentication allowed
Secure Sockets when Sending: If Available, STARTTLS

INCOMING MAIL
Server: mail.yourdomainname.com (or .net, etc.)
Configuration: POP
Authentication style: Passwords
Secure Sockets when Receiving:If Available, STARTTLS

NOTES:

Open your eudora.ini file in Notepad and go to "Persona" for each
domain personality. Correct setting is:

SMTPport=26

For all Personalities that use your ISP's e-mail server, it *should*
be SMTPport 25, but if that doesn't work try 26.

--
Laura Fredericks
PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

Usenet Flamewars:
http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

Remove CLOTHES to reply.
From: sherman on
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 03:32:44 -0500, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

> [...]
>then its password (and/or user name)
>will not work for Verizon's _outgoing_ server,
>so Verizon will first fail to authenticate you,
>then it will refuse to send the message because of that failure.
>
>I would try to continue using HostGator's outgoing server
>(after you get its proper info), because there have been some cases
>where even if you fix things to properly authenticate with Verizon,
>Verizon _might_ object to your sending outgoing mail
>with a "From:" address that isn't Verizon's,
>which would also be one more way to start chasing other wild geese.
>
>A systematic approach to things is often more productive
>than running in random directions or firing a shotgun without aiming.
>
>Here is a possibly similar case related to Verizon,
>which in turn contains a link to an even longer wild goose chase,
>all because of not sitting down and sorting out the facts,

John, I thank you so much. They changed the SMTP port at HostGator
from 25 to 26! When I asked them about my problem, they told me
nothing like that.
BTW, my problem with Verizon was due to the fact that Verizon never
registered me! Can you believei it? I spent 30 minutes with one of
their techs and he could not register me either, although my
registration name was available. I am still waiting for his phone call
right now. As you can see, I could not use their SMTP port,
outgoing.verizon.net, because my ID was unknown to the system,
although I had REGISTERED 3 times.
Thanks a million, again!

sherman