From: DiLynn on
I have tried to find a download to add just the simple smiley faces to my
outlook express messages (6) but have been unsuccessful. I have also seen
them come through on word documents from others to myself. I also have
Office Prof '07. How can I get these ? I don't want all the fancy ones that
give you 200 or so, just the different smiley's. Thanks
From: Bob I on
Questions about Outlook Express are answered in the link below.
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general&cat=en_US_84883150-57ad-41d0-b145-8f6c650b58ef&lang=en&cr=US

From: VanguardLH on
DiLynn wrote:

> I have tried to find a download to add just the simple smiley faces to my
> outlook express messages (6) but have been unsuccessful. I have also seen
> them come through on word documents from others to myself. I also have
> Office Prof '07. How can I get these ? I don't want all the fancy ones that
> give you 200 or so, just the different smiley's. Thanks

Emoticon are just text strings, so enter the text that you want to use for
the emoticon. >;->

For what text strings are commonly used to express different emoticon, there
are plenty of sites that list them and Google still works:

http://www.google.com/search?q=emoticon

Even if your e-mail client displays cutsy little images for emoticons, they
are still just text strings. That means they may only look like those text
strings in the recipient's e-mail client. Whether the recipient has an
e-mail client that supports emoticon transliteration (from text string to
graphic image) depends on what e-mail client that recipient uses and if they
have it configured to show the images (since parsing could make emoticons
out of text that wasn't meant to be an emoticon). You won't know if the
recipient will see an image or text string for the emoticon text string that
you enter into your message.
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message

> Even if your e-mail client displays cutsy little images for emoticons, they
> are still just text strings.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Some of Windows' font sets contain a few smileys, like
this one: ☺ It's U+263A in the Arial font, in case it doesn't show.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]