From: Sam on
I have two designs for an Altera chip that use approximately 6,000 and
24,000 logic elements. I am looking at moving to Xilinx tools, but am
not sure how these numbers translate across manufacturers. I have seen
Xilinx FPGA with gate counts cited, but I am not sure what those
number mean.

Can anyone provide some guidance in this?
From: Symon on
On 2/1/2010 2:59 PM, Sam wrote:
> I have two designs for an Altera chip that use approximately 6,000 and
> 24,000 logic elements. I am looking at moving to Xilinx tools, but am
> not sure how these numbers translate across manufacturers. I have seen
> Xilinx FPGA with gate counts cited, but I am not sure what those
> number mean.
>
> Can anyone provide some guidance in this?

1) Download tools from Xilinx's website with free 60 day license.
2) Feed your design into Xilinx tools.
3) Look at numbers.

Ta da!

HTH., Syms.
From: rickman on
On Feb 1, 9:25 pm, james <bu...(a)bud.u> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 06:59:33 -0800 (PST), Sam <kerr....(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> |I have two designs for an Altera chip that use approximately 6,000 and
> |24,000 logic elements. I am looking at moving to Xilinx tools, but am
> |not sure how these numbers translate across manufacturers. I have seen
> |Xilinx FPGA with gate counts cited, but I am not sure what those
> |number mean.
> |
> |Can anyone provide some guidance in this?
> |
> |==============
>
> In my opinion about the best way to compare different vendor's FPGAs
> is not to use stated gate count. Instead look at the features like
>
> # of LUTs
> # of block ram
> # of multipliers
> # of DSP blocks
>
> It is better to compare the building blocks of the FPGA rather than an
> estimated gate count.
>
> james

And make sure you do your own counting of features like LUTs. Xome
companies like to count "imaginary" features like "Logic Cells" which
don't exist in *anyone's* FPGAs.

Rick