From: Ohhhh maaan on
I have a kernel panic and need to fix a typo. I don't have the install
disks, and I just want to use the CD to access the shell prompt so I
can run the commands need. I can't get to the grub boot loader screen.

Anyway, I run this and it asks for linux or linux text, and no matter
what I do, I can't just have it load the kernel image from the rescue
CD and drop into shell. It always wants to install and asks for the
images. How in the world can someone just drop into a shell prompt?

I've used Linux years ago and I think I recall you could just type linux
single or linux emergency at the boot CD, but nothing works with this
new CentOS 5.x rescue CD. I'm stuck at "boot:" and nothing I try just
drops/boots me into a shell prompt. Please, help! :)
From: Keith Keller on

On 2010-05-19, Ohhhh maaan <nobodyhere(a)example.com> wrote:

> I've used Linux years ago and I think I recall you could just type linux
> single or linux emergency at the boot CD, but nothing works with this
> new CentOS 5.x rescue CD. I'm stuck at "boot:" and nothing I try just
> drops/boots me into a shell prompt. Please, help! :)

Close: it's linux rescue, not emergency:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-rescuemode-boot.html

But I believe the onscreen text tells you to hit F5 for help and
other boot options, so you should look for that next time. See e.g.

http://www.go2linux.org/pics/centos-base/Screenshot.png

Hitting F5 gives you more information on booting the CD in rescue mode.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: Ohhhh maaan on
Keith Keller wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.]
>
> On 2010-05-19, Ohhhh maaan <nobodyhere(a)example.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've used Linux years ago and I think I recall you could just type
>> linux single or linux emergency at the boot CD, but nothing works
>> with this new CentOS 5.x rescue CD. I'm stuck at "boot:" and nothing
>> I try just drops/boots me into a shell prompt. Please, help! :)
>
> Close: it's linux rescue, not emergency:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-rescuemode-boot.html

> But I believe the onscreen text tells you to hit F5 for help and
> other boot options, so you should look for that next time. See e.g.
>
> http://www.go2linux.org/pics/centos-base/Screenshot.png
>
> Hitting F5 gives you more information on booting the CD in rescue
> mode.
>
> --keith

Yes, I know what it says. I did that already, and it just goes to the
same install screen. Doesn't matter if I type linux, linux text, linux
rescue, or just hit enter, or try linux single, linux emergency, or
anything else, it _always_ goes to the text menus and doesn't allow me
to break out of it or drop to a shell prompt, or anything else. It just
wants the install disk images. In fact, the link you've provided says
it all:

"Once you have booted using one of the described methods, add the
keyword rescue as a kernel parameter. For example, for an x86 system,
type the following command at the installation boot prompt:

linux rescue

You are prompted to answer a few basic questions, including which
language to use. It also prompts you to select where a valid rescue
image is located. Select from Local CD-ROM, Hard Drive, NFS image, FTP,
or HTTP. The location selected must contain a valid installation tree "

It simply does not allow me to skip or select any options that allow me
to even get to the point where I can get shell access. I definitely
recall that the boot CD's allowed a person to jump right into a shell
if they wanted, even without using the installed bootloader, and I
can't find any information to show where someone can just boot from the
CD's kernel and drop into a shell and run commands (it always wants the
install images).

The problem is, I'm 5,000 miles away working over a KVM. All I need to
do, is find this one thing so I fix this problem, and I just can't find
it. No one else seems to know. This strikes me as odd. Believe me,
trying to convince some DC tech that only power cycles systems to do
anything is not going to happen, so if anyone can help me find this one
trivial thing, it would be very appreciated.
From: unruh on
On 2010-05-19, Ohhhh maaan <nobodyhere(a)example.com> wrote:
> I have a kernel panic and need to fix a typo. I don't have the install
> disks, and I just want to use the CD to access the shell prompt so I
> can run the commands need. I can't get to the grub boot loader screen.
>
> Anyway, I run this and it asks for linux or linux text, and no matter
> what I do, I can't just have it load the kernel image from the rescue
> CD and drop into shell. It always wants to install and asks for the
> images. How in the world can someone just drop into a shell prompt?
>
> I've used Linux years ago and I think I recall you could just type linux
> single or linux emergency at the boot CD, but nothing works with this
> new CentOS 5.x rescue CD. I'm stuck at "boot:" and nothing I try just
> drops/boots me into a shell prompt. Please, help! :)

Did you try typing "rescue" when it is stuck at "boot:"?

From: Robert Nichols on
On 05/18/2010 09:58 PM, Ohhhh maaan wrote:
> I have a kernel panic and need to fix a typo. I don't have the install
> disks, and I just want to use the CD to access the shell prompt so I
> can run the commands need. I can't get to the grub boot loader screen.
>
> Anyway, I run this and it asks for linux or linux text, and no matter
> what I do, I can't just have it load the kernel image from the rescue
> CD and drop into shell. It always wants to install and asks for the
> images. How in the world can someone just drop into a shell prompt?
>
> I've used Linux years ago and I think I recall you could just type linux
> single or linux emergency at the boot CD, but nothing works with this
> new CentOS 5.x rescue CD. I'm stuck at "boot:" and nothing I try just
> drops/boots me into a shell prompt. Please, help! :)

Once you get to the installer GUI, there should be a shell available on
one of the other VTs. Try ctrl-alt-F2.