From: ooba on
Using the code below I am loading in an external image. Loads just fine.
However everytime I am not aware of how to directly point to the image that is
loaded into the MC.
How am I to reference the image that is loaded in order to get the width and
heigh of the image.

// The clip that will hold the loaded external files
var container_mc:MovieClip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("container_mc",
this.getNextHighestDepth());

// The event loader that will listen for events
var myMCL:MovieClipLoader = new MovieClipLoader();
var myListener:Object = new Object();
myMCL.addListener(myListener);

myMCL.loadClip("image4.jpg", container_mc);

/**
* After the external file has loaded
*/
myListener.onLoadComplete = function(mc:MovieClip) {
trace( ' Dynamic MC width = ' + mc._width );
trace( ' Dynamic MC height = ' + mc._height );
} //

/* just some keywords for when people search this forum
How to get image size
How to get image width
How to get image height
*/

From: rritchey on
you want to use the onLoadInit() function to be able to interact with the
loaded image.

myListener.onLoadInit = function(mc:MovieClip) {
trace( ' Dynamic MC width = ' + mc._width );
trace( ' Dynamic MC height = ' + mc._height );
}

See the liveDocs for onLoadComplete here ::
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?c
ontext=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00002001.html

From: ooba on
Thank you rritchey for pointing me to onLoadInit!

// All read the following snippet for understanding why to use onLoadInit over
onLoadComplete
/** Following is help file documented notes. */
It's important to understand the difference between
MovieClipLoader.onLoadComplete and MovieClipLoader.onLoadInit. The
onLoadComplete event is called after the SWF, JPEG, GIF, or PNG file loads, but
before the application is initialized. At this point, it is impossible to
access the loaded movie clip's methods and properties, and therefore you cannot
call a function, move to a specific frame, and so on. In most situations, it's
better to use the onLoadInit event instead, which is called after the content
is loaded and fully initialized.