From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>>Think of a bot as an application running in the background mostly
>>waiting for instructions, not like a worm gobbling up your resources
>>spread itself or adware getting 'in your face'.
>
> I know what a bot is, thank you very much.

Then what makes you think they would manifest themselves as "slowdowns,
suspicious disk activity,
freaky behavior."? You could be hosting a bot without *any* user
noticeable symptoms.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>>>Think of a bot as an application running in the background mostly
>>>waiting for instructions, not like a worm gobbling up your resources
>>>spread itself or adware getting 'in your face'.

>> I know what a bot is, thank you very much.

| Then what makes you think they would manifest themselves as "slowdowns,
| suspicious disk activity,
| freaky behavior."? You could be hosting a bot without *any* user
| noticeable symptoms.

Often the ONLY indication is "beaconing" to a foreighn host.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I know what a bot is, thank you very much.
>
> | Then what makes you think they would manifest themselves as
> "slowdowns,
> | suspicious disk activity,
> | freaky behavior."? You could be hosting a bot without *any* user
> | noticeable symptoms.
>

> Often the ONLY indication is "beaconing" to a foreighn host.

Something not at all obvious to the casual observer. Bots share that
trait with the slow polymorphic virus - if you don't draw attention to
yourself, it is a clear advantage in stickiness - hiding yourself (and
your activities), even more so.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

>> | "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> | Then what makes you think they would manifest themselves as
>> "slowdowns,
>> | suspicious disk activity,
>> | freaky behavior."? You could be hosting a bot without *any* user
>> | noticeable symptoms.

>> Often the ONLY indication is "beaconing" to a foreighn host.

| Something not at all obvious to the casual observer. Bots share that
| trait with the slow polymorphic virus - if you don't draw attention to
| yourself, it is a clear advantage in stickiness - hiding yourself (and
| your activities), even more so.

Yes and in this case the rate of beaconing can further limit detection.

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>Then what makes you think they would manifest themselves as "slowdowns,
>suspicious disk activity,
> freaky behavior."? You could be hosting a bot without *any* user
>noticeable symptoms.

Could, but most of this malware is written so badly that it's usually evident.
I used to write software for a living. 20% of the time was spent writing
software and 80% was spent debugging. It's hard to write good code that will
work well on all flavors of Windows with all kinds of hardware. Malware
writers generally want to get it written and out the door; debugging is the
least of their concerns. If it runs on 1% of the infected computers they're
happy.