From: annily on
Rod Speed wrote:
> annily wrote
>> blank wrote
>
>>> In Vista there was a box to tick which would allow Windows to search for any updates to non-Microsoft software
>>> installed on a computer. I can't find a similar option in Win7. Is it available, and if so, where do I find it?
>
>> I don't remember that in Vista.
>
> Its there in XP too.
>
>> Why would Microsoft do that?
>
> Basically for drivers for hardware and for the convenience of the user.

Oh yes, for drivers, but not for non-Microsft software in general, surely?

For example if I have Firefox installed, Windows Update isn't going to
advise me of updates, is it?

Windows 7 will advise driver updates, too.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: blank on

> Windows 7 will advise driver updates, too.

Yes, driver updates for Windows products, of course, but not for non-Windows
products so far as I am aware.. I'm sure Microsoft's benevolence never
extended to Firefox updates.

From: annily on
blank wrote:

>> Windows 7 will advise driver updates, too.
>>
> Yes, driver updates for Windows products, of course, but not for
> non-Windows products so far as I am aware.. I'm sure Microsoft's
> benevolence never extended to Firefox updates.

What drivers does Firefox have? Drivers are for hardware devices.

From: steam3801 on
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:07:17 +1100, "blank" <blank(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>In Vista there was a box to tick which would allow Windows to search for any
>updates to non-Microsoft software installed on a computer. I can't find a
>similar option in Win7. Is it available, and if so, where do I find it?

Windows Updates -> Change Settings (LH column/margin) -> check boxes
for : "Give me recommended updates the same way etc" and "Give me
updates for Microsoft products etc"

--
idgat
Computer-ji, D, lock kiya jaye!
From: Rod Speed on
annily wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> annily wrote
>>> blank wrote

>>> I don't remember that in Vista.

>> Its there in XP too.

>>> Why would Microsoft do that?

>> Basically for drivers for hardware and for the convenience of the user.

> Oh yes, for drivers, but not for non-Microsft software in general, surely?

Fraid so.

> For example if I have Firefox installed, Windows Update isn't going to advise me of updates, is it?

Dunno, dont bother with firefox myself. Dont bother with automatic updates either.