From: Rob on
keithr wrote:
> annily wrote:
>> Rod Speed wrote:
>>> annily wrote

>>> Its there in XP too.

>>> Basically for drivers for hardware and for the convenience of the user.
>>>

>> Oh yes, for drivers, but not for non-Microsft software in general,
>> surely?
>>
>> For example if I have Firefox installed, Windows Update isn't going to
>> advise me of updates, is it?
>>
>> Windows 7 will advise driver updates, too.
>>
> Firefox has it's own update system independent of the windows one

Which did not work to update 2.///// to 3.////// - didn't jump a version.
From: annily on
Rob wrote:
> keithr wrote:
>> annily wrote:

>>> Oh yes, for drivers, but not for non-Microsft software in general,
>>> surely?
>>>
>>> For example if I have Firefox installed, Windows Update isn't going
>>> to advise me of updates, is it?
>>>
>>> Windows 7 will advise driver updates, too.
>>>
>> Firefox has it's own update system independent of the windows one
>

> Which did not work to update 2.///// to 3.////// - didn't jump a version.

From memory, it didn't from 3.0 to 3.5 either.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: steam3801 on
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:22:05 +1030, annily <annily(a)annily.invalid>
wrote:

>steam3801 wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:07:17 +1100, "blank" <blank(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In Vista there was a box to tick which would allow Windows to search for any
>>> updates to non-Microsoft software installed on a computer. I can't find a
>>> similar option in Win7. Is it available, and if so, where do I find it?
>>
>> Windows Updates -> Change Settings (LH column/margin) -> check boxes
>> for : "Give me recommended updates the same way etc" and "Give me
>> updates for Microsoft products etc"
>>

>That's what I thought he was talking about, but I don't think that
>covers "any updates to non-Microsoft software" ("some" maybe).

Of course it doesn't cover non-Microsoft updates. Those programs have
their own built-in update options (Adobe, Firefox, Google, etc)

Also see :-
- Program Updates in the Control Panel
- program called ISUSPM.exe from Macrovision, resident in the msconfig
startup options

P.S. I *H*A*T*E* any auto update options on any program, Microsoft or
otherwise. I kill them all, stop them from starting up at boot time,
disable them permanently

**I** will decide what gets updated, when it gets updated and what
it's updated to or with, thank you!!!!!
--
idgat
Computer-ji, D, lock kiya jaye!
From: Rod Speed on
jonz wrote:
> On 12/29/2009 5:25 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
>> annily wrote
>>> blank wrote

>>> I don't remember that in Vista.
>>
>> Its there in XP too.
>>
>>> Why would Microsoft do that?
>>
>> Basically for drivers for hardware and for the convenience of the
>> user.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> where in xp rod?..thnx.

Program updates in the control panel.

Some software does have an entry in the list in the there and you can tick or untick that there.

From: keithr on
steam3801 wrote:

> P.S. I *H*A*T*E* any auto update options on any program, Microsoft or
> otherwise. I kill them all, stop them from starting up at boot time,
> disable them permanently
>
> **I** will decide what gets updated, when it gets updated and what
> it's updated to or with, thank you!!!!!

Just select "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install
them", and choose which ones to install.