From: Rich on
On May 29, 11:33 pm, ROFLMAO! <rofl...(a)roflmao.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 May 2010 20:13:34 -0700, SMS <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com> wrote:
> >On 29/05/10 7:14 PM, George Fillers wrote:
> >> "SMS" <scharf.ste...(a)geemail.com> wrote in message

> >> You've got me intrigued as your posts are usually pretty good.
>
> >> Are you talking about noise or exposure/inverse square law?
>
> >Noise would be pretty hard to explain to non-techies,
>
> Translation: "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but let's see
> if he'll buy this BS I read on the net somewhere once..."
>
> > but showing how
> >pixel size (the same number of pixels in different size sensors) affects
> >light gathering capability should be pretty intuitive.
>
> >Actually there are already video tutorials that explain this,
>
> Translation: "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but let's see
> if he'll buy this BS I read on the net somewhere once..."
>
> > but
> >putting it on a handout might be helpful not only in the photo
> >processing departments of stores but in the camera departments. Too many
> >people buy P&S cameras solely by megapixels, LCD size, and zoom lens
> >range without understanding anything else.
>
> ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

Why not pick one identity and stick with it? It's not like your going
into politics and have to worry about your posts resurfacing at some
point.
From: DanP on
On May 30, 4:59 am, Rich <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not pick one identity and stick with it?  It's not like your going
> into politics and have to worry about your posts resurfacing at some
> point.

A smart reader will not believe him either way.
But he stands a better chance with the gullible readers if lots of
sock puppets seem to agree on all that bullshit.

DanP
From: ransley on
On May 29, 7:13 pm, Rich <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Not as far as you might think.  They are much faster when it comes to
> processing, hugely faster.  On the order of 5-10x in some cases.
> Resolution is also much higher than years ago.  But for image quality,
> not as far.  Below are images taken with a 2004 Nikon Coolpix 5400
> with 5 megapixels and a Panasonic LX3 (2009) with 10 megapixels.  The
> Panasonic has the superior lens, but the images are about 0.7 stop
> dimmer than from the Nikon indicating perhaps the pixel size has
> effected over sensitivity.  I equalized the images (except for WB) in-
> terms of brightness.  Both are at 400 ISO with the same aperture (0.1
> stop diff) and exposure time.  Both are from raw files and the
> slowness of the Nikon when it comes to processing is in-part due to
> the fact it was never intended to handle raws, that capability was
> added later in a firmware upgrade.
>
> Coolpix:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/125036002
>
> Panasonic:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/125036009

Isnt Panasonic know to have one of the most noisy sensors.
From: John Navas on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 20:13:34 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
wrote in <4c01d7e1$0$1638$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>:

>Noise would be pretty hard to explain to non-techies, but showing how
>pixel size (the same number of pixels in different size sensors) affects
>light gathering capability should be pretty intuitive.

Except it's not that simple. If it were, newer dSLR cameras with much
smaller pixel sizes than older dSLR cameras would produce much worse
images, when in fact they produce much better images.

>Actually there are already video tutorials that explain this, but
>putting it on a handout might be helpful not only in the photo
>processing departments of stores but in the camera departments. Too many
>people buy P&S cameras solely by megapixels, LCD size, and zoom lens
>range without understanding anything else.

Too many people buy dSLR cameras with cheap kit or independent lenses
solely by type, brand name, and price, without understanding anything
else, because they wrongly think, like so many here, that a dSLR is
better because it's bigger and more expensive, and that a better camera
will make them better photographers, only to get worse pictures than
they would have gotten with a high-end compact digital camera, both
because they don't know how to use a dSLR properly, and because they
won't spend enough money on glass.

You're demonstrating (again) that you know as little about photography
(and people) as you do about cellular.

--
Best regards,
John

"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn."
-Benjamin Franklin
From: nospam on
In article <obq4061de9oep996u2m55s24vin5apoopb(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 20:13:34 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
> wrote in <4c01d7e1$0$1638$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>:
> >Noise would be pretty hard to explain to non-techies, but showing how
> >pixel size (the same number of pixels in different size sensors) affects
> >light gathering capability should be pretty intuitive.
>
> Except it's not that simple.

actually, it is.

> If it were, newer dSLR cameras with much
> smaller pixel sizes than older dSLR cameras would produce much worse
> images, when in fact they produce much better images.

that's because the sensor technology improved more than the impact of
smaller pixels. if you compare a more advanced sensor with an older
design, you have more than one variable, and claiming smaller pixels
are as good or better is misleading.

for any given sensor technology, a larger sensor gathers more light and
has a better signal/noise ratio. it's basic physics.

> >Actually there are already video tutorials that explain this, but
> >putting it on a handout might be helpful not only in the photo
> >processing departments of stores but in the camera departments. Too many
> >people buy P&S cameras solely by megapixels, LCD size, and zoom lens
> >range without understanding anything else.
>
> Too many people buy dSLR cameras with cheap kit or independent lenses
> solely by type, brand name, and price, without understanding anything
> else, because they wrongly think, like so many here, that a dSLR is
> better because it's bigger and more expensive, and that a better camera
> will make them better photographers, only to get worse pictures than
> they would have gotten with a high-end compact digital camera, both
> because they don't know how to use a dSLR properly, and because they
> won't spend enough money on glass.

plenty of people get lousy photos with compact digicams too and there's
no evidence that they'd have fared better if they bought something
else.

> You're demonstrating (again) that you know as little about photography
> (and people) as you do about cellular.

you can dish it out but you can't take it. one of your favourite quotes: