From: aaronep on
Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
optical viewfinders on their cameras?

One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
for optical viewfinders.

My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

Aaron
From: David J Taylor on
<aaronep(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> for optical viewfinders.
>
> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>
> Aaron

Unfortunately, cost-cutting, large lens zoom range, and size reduction
don't favour the optical viewfinder. You might want to consider a DSLR or
camera with an EVF.

Cheers,
David

From: David Ruether on

<aaronep(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> for optical viewfinders.
>
> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>
> Aaron

I agree, and I also prefer an optical eyelevel finder (and it is also
easier to hold the camera steady with these). There is a possible
solution (but not for those who favor "compact" over "good
functionality") with something like the Hoodman LCD loupes (see --
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hood+loupe&tag=
googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=2966091661&ref=pd_sl_173vx3hgfi_b
for some). Also see -- http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1024
and other solutions at -- http://www.hoodmanusa.com. Not perfect,
but better than peering at that dark screen out there at the ends of
your arms...! ;-)
--David Ruether
www.donferrario.com/ruether
d_ruether(a)hotmail.com

From: SMS on
On 29/05/10 8:08 AM, aaronep(a)pacbell.net wrote:
> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> for optical viewfinders.

LOL, no, that's not the reason. The reason is cost. An optical
viewfinder that adjusts as the lens zooms adds too much cost.

> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

That's your experience and the experience of everyone else on the
planet. Unfortunately, most people don't even realize the problem until
after they've purchased a camera without an optical viewfinder.

The best advice is to find a camera you like with a viewfinder and buy a
lifetime supply.

"If you find something you really, really like, buy a lifetime supply;
because it'll either be changed for the worse or go out of production."
Quote from Rivendell Bicycle's Web Site
From: Art Warner on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:34:54 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>On 29/05/10 8:08 AM, aaronep(a)pacbell.net wrote:
>> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>>
>> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
>> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
>> for optical viewfinders.
>
>LOL, no, that's not the reason. The reason is cost. An optical
>viewfinder that adjusts as the lens zooms adds too much cost.
>
>> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
>> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>
>That's your experience and the experience of everyone else on the
>planet. Unfortunately, most people don't even realize the problem until
>after they've purchased a camera without an optical viewfinder.

Spoken like a true troll who has never used any of these cameras in his
life.