From: George Kerby on

On 5/29/10 7:55 PM, in article ald306hvh4ddvci3v1ujf1ve978kl2js9p(a)4ax.com,
"Bill W D" <billwd971610(a)apopularisp.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 17:27:49 -0700 (PDT), Vance <vance.lear(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Okay. Produce a macro shot of a house fly in flight outdoors and post
>> the full frame JPEG or RAW image with EXIF data.
>
> I don't have to "produce it". It's already been done, many times. You want
> to see them in full resolution? How much money do you have?
>
> One minor problem, they are not house-flies. They're all manner of small
> flying insects. I don't photograph common house-flies. I leave that to
> snapshooters like you.

Right. You grow special bot flys on your own rotting johnson.

From: Grimly Curmudgeon on
drugs began to take hold. I remember "aaronep(a)pacbell.net"
<aaronep(a)pacbell.net> saying something like:

>Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
>One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
>screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
>for optical viewfinders.
>
>My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
>extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

Because the vast majority of PantyShooters have been conditioned into
this way of thinking and it suits the makers to leave off a piece of kit
that costs money to make.
Also, it's not unknown for sales droids to spout bollocks.
You choose.
From: whisky-dave on

<aaronep(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?

Cost cutting most likley and few P&S buyers see it as an advantage.

> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> for optical viewfinders.

I find using the optical viewfinder of my canon G10 more useful in dark
conditions
and at gigs. While the LCD is very clear and bright I find myself staring at
the LCD waiting for the image to be what I want then clicking the shutter is
just too much of a time delay. I prefer the optical V. even though it's a
bit small and not the easist to use I'm very glad it's there.

> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

One day I'll have to take my camera out in bright conditions too :-)

From: Bruce on
On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:07:00 +0100, "whisky-dave"
<whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:

><aaronep(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
>Cost cutting most likley and few P&S buyers see it as an advantage.
>
>> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
>> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
>> for optical viewfinders.
>
>I find using the optical viewfinder of my canon G10 more useful in dark
>conditions
>and at gigs. While the LCD is very clear and bright I find myself staring at
>the LCD waiting for the image to be what I want then clicking the shutter is
>just too much of a time delay. I prefer the optical V. even though it's a
>bit small and not the easist to use I'm very glad it's there.

The problem with optical viewfinders on inexpensive point and shoot
zoom compacts is that they generally aren't any good. The framing of
the image on the sensor is often very different to what the optical
viewfinder suggests it will be. The rear LCD is much more accurate.

Of course that doesn't apply to the Canon G Series which has a good,
though not perfect viewfinder.

From: whisky-dave on

"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:07:00 +0100, "whisky-dave"
> <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
>

>><aaronep(a)pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>>> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>>
>>Cost cutting most likley and few P&S buyers see it as an advantage.
>>
>>> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
>>> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
>>> for optical viewfinders.
>>
>>I find using the optical viewfinder of my canon G10 more useful in dark
>>conditions
>>and at gigs. While the LCD is very clear and bright I find myself staring
>>at
>>the LCD waiting for the image to be what I want then clicking the shutter
>>is
>>just too much of a time delay. I prefer the optical V. even though it's a
>>bit small and not the easist to use I'm very glad it's there.
>

> The problem with optical viewfinders on inexpensive point and shoot
> zoom compacts is that they generally aren't any good. The framing of
> the image on the sensor is often very different to what the optical
> viewfinder suggests it will be. The rear LCD is much more accurate.

yes, true, but it does depend on how much accuracy you expect.
if I'm amin to photograph the singer in teh band I just need an outline
of the singer then I click when I see teh lighting in favourable and hope
I get a reasonble shot while attempting to counteract the shutter delay.
I don;t need 100.0000% acuracy for this, all I want to do is
make sure I don;t cut off the main subject within reason.

> Of course that doesn't apply to the Canon G Series which has a good,
> though not perfect viewfinder.

yes, and I'm very happy with it all things considered, I'd glad I didn't
buy a camera that doesn't have one.

some photos if anyone's interested
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave