From: Ray Fischer on
aaronep(a)pacbell.net <aaronep(a)pacbell.net> wrote:
>Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>optical viewfinders on their cameras?

Good viewfinders are expensive and people don't want to pay for them,
and cheap viewfinders are next to worthless and people don't want to
use them.

And yes, "people" includes you.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: J. Clarke on
On 5/29/2010 11:08 AM, aaronep(a)pacbell.net wrote:
> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> for optical viewfinders.
>
> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

Ever try an electronic viewfinder (NOT the same as the LCD on the back)?
While they have their disadvantages, being difficult to use in bright
sunlight is not one of them.

Optical finders that do more than give a rough idea of where the lens is
pointed aren't particularly cheap or easy to implement, especially on a
very thin camera.

And there's always the option of an entry-level SLR.
From: Ray Fischer on
J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:
>On 5/29/2010 11:08 AM, aaronep(a)pacbell.net wrote:
>> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>>
>> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
>> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
>> for optical viewfinders.
>>
>> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
>> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>
>Ever try an electronic viewfinder (NOT the same as the LCD on the back)?
> While they have their disadvantages, being difficult to use in bright
>sunlight is not one of them.
>
>Optical finders that do more than give a rough idea of where the lens is
>pointed aren't particularly cheap or easy to implement, especially on a
>very thin camera.
>
>And there's always the option of an entry-level SLR.

Heh. A few days ago I was with a bunch of school kids in a cave and
took some pictures. The only illumination was their flashlights, and
the only way I could take pictures was to set the camera on a rock and
do a five second exposure. Since it was so dark viewfinders (both
kinds) were next to useless, but since it was an SLR I could see where
the lens was pointed.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Rich on
On May 29, 1:48 pm, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> J. Clarke <jclarke.use...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> >On 5/29/2010 11:08 AM, aaro...(a)pacbell.net wrote:
> >> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> >> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> >> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> >> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
> >> for optical viewfinders.
>
> >> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> >> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>
> >Ever try an electronic viewfinder (NOT the same as the LCD on the back)?
> >  While they have their disadvantages, being difficult to use in bright
> >sunlight is not one of them.
>
> >Optical finders that do more than give a rough idea of where the lens is
> >pointed aren't particularly cheap or easy to implement, especially on a
> >very thin camera.
>
> >And there's always the option of an entry-level SLR.
>
> Heh.  A few days ago I was with a bunch of school kids in a cave

Pity them.
From: George Kerby on

On 5/29/10 1:07 PM, in article
28480131-b86f-43fe-916c-2080b5d3e40f(a)v18g2000vbc.googlegroups.com, "Rich"
<rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 29, 1:48�pm, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> J. Clarke <jclarke.use...(a)cox.net> wrote:

>>> Ever try an electronic viewfinder (NOT the same as the LCD on the back)?
>>> �While they have their disadvantages, being difficult to use in bright
>>> sunlight is not one of them.
>>
>>> Optical finders that do more than give a rough idea of where the lens is
>>> pointed aren't particularly cheap or easy to implement, especially on a
>>> very thin camera.
>>
>>> And there's always the option of an entry-level SLR.
>>
>> Heh. �A few days ago I was with a bunch of school kids in a cave
>
> Pity them.

<BFG!>

The mental images boggle...