From: SMS on
On 29/05/10 5:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:

<snip>

> So I have three similar trackball devices which I am quite comfortable
> with.

Well in terms of cameras, by the time I realized that there would be no
more pocket P&S cameras with both an optical viewfinder and a wide-angle
(28mm or so) lens I was too late to follow the "lifetime supply" advice.
There are still a bunch of ZLRs with a WA lens and either OVF or EVF,
and there's the Canon G11, but no more ultra compacts.

Then, SWMBO began referring to the SD800 IS as "her camera." It's a
great camera for backpacking and skiing where you often are shooting ib
bright sunlight and where the lack of an OVF or EVF is unacceptable.
With CHDK installed on it it's even better!

I'm going to try to find some on craigslist since the sellers on Amazon
want ridiculous amounts of money for them.
From: Bill W D on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 17:27:49 -0700 (PDT), Vance <vance.lear(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Okay. Produce a macro shot of a house fly in flight outdoors and post
>the full frame JPEG or RAW image with EXIF data.

I don't have to "produce it". It's already been done, many times. You want
to see them in full resolution? How much money do you have?

One minor problem, they are not house-flies. They're all manner of small
flying insects. I don't photograph common house-flies. I leave that to
snapshooters like you.

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 02:53:53 -0700 (PDT), Vance <vance.lear(a)gmail.com>
wrote in
<070ff094-f578-47fc-beab-57abd0192043(a)z13g2000prh.googlegroups.com>:

>Photography is a put up or shut up proposition. You can either
>produce the images you claim you can, or you can't. There is no
>reason to believe that you can produce a macro shot of a House Fly in
>flight outdoors using the approach implicit in your BS claims.
>However, you can prove me wrong by doing it. It's the only way.

Theory depends on evidence, but not truth. ;)

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: George Kerby on

On 5/29/10 5:05 PM, in article bs33061b52l52t10bpsbpdjm8tvqqveisu(a)4ax.com,
"John Navas" <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 16:30:27 -0400, M-M <nospam.m-m(a)ny.more> wrote in
> <nospam.m-m-DFD069.16302629052010(a)cpe-76-190-186-198.neo.res.rr.com>:
>
>> In article <htrt4r$9cq$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>> Dave Cohen <user(a)example.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen people using the lcd finder on models that did have an optical
>>> finder. And not only on lower end models, I saw someone doing this with
>>> a G series canon and there didn't appear to be any particular reason for
>>> doing so (like taking advantage of the swivel lcd). Personally, I'm in
>>> the 'I like a viewfinder camp'. Maybe it has to do with using film
>>> cameras for such a long time.
>>
>> You cannot shoot continuous on a moving subject (like birds or airplanes
>> flying) without an optical VF.
>
> My Panasonic FZ28 can do it. Some other EVF cameras likewise.

Your camera is perfect, NavAss.

The trouble is the anal sphincter that operates it...

From: George Kerby on

On 5/29/10 6:04 PM, in article 0c7306lnhebgi7eo4usph21h26hjrk7lha(a)4ax.com,
"John Navas" <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 18:14:10 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in
> <i543065vd7g1leh6bo1u3fgj7f3706h5vb(a)4ax.com>:
>
>> On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:34:54 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:
>> : On 29/05/10 8:08 AM, aaronep(a)pacbell.net wrote:
>> : > Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>> : > optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>> : >
>> : > One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
>> : > screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
>> : > for optical viewfinders.
>> :
>> : LOL, no, that's not the reason. The reason is cost. An optical
>> : viewfinder that adjusts as the lens zooms adds too much cost.
>> :
>> : > My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
>> : > extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>> :
>> : That's your experience and the experience of everyone else on the
>> : planet. Unfortunately, most people don't even realize the problem until
>> : after they've purchased a camera without an optical viewfinder.
>> :
>> : The best advice is to find a camera you like with a viewfinder and buy a
>> : lifetime supply.
>> :
>> : "If you find something you really, really like, buy a lifetime supply;
>> : because it'll either be changed for the worse or go out of production."
>> : Quote from Rivendell Bicycle's Web Site
>>
>> That's why I have a lifetime supply of those fine old heavy-duty keyboards
>> that IBM made for their PCs. The one I'm typing on at this moment was made in
>> 1986.
>
> Much too noisy for my taste.

Your taste is in your distal sphincter.