From: ray on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:08:59 -0700, aaronep(a)pacbell.net wrote:

> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>
> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need for
> optical viewfinders.
>
> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>
> Aaron

$$$$$$$$$$$$

BTW - if you try an EVF camera with decent resolution (in the viewfinder)
you may change your mind. Personally, I have no use whatever for the lcd
screen on the back of the camera - I'd as soon rip the sucker off and
throw it away.
From: John Navas on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:34:54 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
wrote in <4c01343c$0$1643$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>:

>> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
>> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.
>
>That's your experience and the experience of everyone else on the
>planet. Unfortunately, most people don't even realize the problem until
>after they've purchased a camera without an optical viewfinder.

Nonsense. (What a shock.)

--
Best regards,
John

"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn."
-Benjamin Franklin
From: John Navas on
On 29 May 2010 16:10:21 GMT, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in
<86csjdFmb8U7(a)mid.individual.net>:

>On Sat, 29 May 2010 08:08:59 -0700, aaronep(a)pacbell.net wrote:
>
>> Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
>> optical viewfinders on their cameras?
>>
>> One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
>> screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need for
>> optical viewfinders.
>>
>> My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
>> extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

>BTW - if you try an EVF camera with decent resolution (in the viewfinder)
>you may change your mind. Personally, I have no use whatever for the lcd
>screen on the back of the camera - I'd as soon rip the sucker off and
>throw it away.

For taking pictures, mostly (except for times I can't raise the camera
to my eye), but it's still handy for showing pictures to others.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: SMS on
On 29/05/10 9:10 AM, ray wrote:

> BTW - if you try an EVF camera with decent resolution (in the viewfinder)
> you may change your mind. Personally, I have no use whatever for the lcd
> screen on the back of the camera - I'd as soon rip the sucker off and
> throw it away.

Yes, an EVF is an acceptable substitute for an OVF. What you should
never buy is any camera that lacks at least one of those.
From: John Navas on
On Sat, 29 May 2010 10:11:11 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
wrote in <4c014acd$0$1648$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>:

>On 29/05/10 9:10 AM, ray wrote:
>
>> BTW - if you try an EVF camera with decent resolution (in the viewfinder)
>> you may change your mind. Personally, I have no use whatever for the lcd
>> screen on the back of the camera - I'd as soon rip the sucker off and
>> throw it away.
>
>Yes, an EVF is an acceptable substitute for an OVF. What you should
>never buy is any camera that lacks at least one of those.

If (and only if) that is your personal preference.
Lots of people prefer an external display to *any* viewfinder.
That you personally prefer a viewfinder is irrelevant to them.
Climb down off your high horse, learn some humility (and honesty).