From: Hector Santos on
Peter Olcott wrote:

> I won't be running on Wintel, I will be running on Linux
> Intel. I won't need any GUI.

And with that, I'm done here. This is Windows Forum - not Linux.
What a waste of time.

--
HLS
From: Jerry Coffin on
In article <kO-dnQCaodaHTjnWnZ2dnUVZ_qmdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com says...

[ ... ]

> My OCR technology has been working perfectly for a few years
> now, and it does require that its data remains in RAM. This
> into a web application.

I didn't mean a desktop applicatio working, I meant some sort of web
service working. Using something like Mongoose may make that
relatively simple, but it's still something that needs to be done.
Arguing over lots of other details until it is, is simply a waste of
everybody's time.

--
Later,
Jerry.
From: Geoff on
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:53:15 -0400, Hector Santos
<sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>I am not convinced it is a single process FIFO
>queue processing only standalone application.

Nor am I, but without more knowledge about the implementation it's
impossible to be sure. I am only describing the limitations of his
current implementation as he has described it and its lack of
scaleability.

>This is a simple engineering problem with simple solution. He just
>hasn't realize it.

I agree. If his "huge chunk" of memory could be partitioned into MMF
then those partitions could be shared and managed by the VMM and the
burden would be off his implementation and threaded SMP would work to
his advantage but I doubt he has the skills to see this.
From: Geoff on
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:09:25 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>I won't be running on Wintel, I will be running on Linux
>Intel. I won't need any GUI.

It doesn't matter whether you need a GUI. It doesn't matter what OS
you choose. The issues you face in your implementation are the same. A
service on Wintel is a daemon on Linux. The memory management and
threading problems are the same. When you take it out of Windows you
abandon MFC and it's now off-topic in this group.
From: Geoff on
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:09:25 -0500, "Peter Olcott"
<NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

>>> Geoff has explained this better than I have.
>>

>> And I don't agree with him - not iota.
>>

>Let's see where Joe weighs in on this.

I don't agree with me either. It's only a description of your
implementation and the reasons for it's limitations as I see them. I
am not offering it as a solution.

There is no proof that your implementation is the best solution for
the problem, nor is there any proof that your implementation is the
fastest possible one.