From: Justin Credible on
Dell XPS 430, 4GB ram, 2.93 Quad Core cpu, Vista Business 32-bit.

Nothing extraneous running, I used Autoruns to turn off anything
non-essential.

I have a blacklist file from Mailwasher which I have saved as a csv file and
opened using Wordpad. The file has 280,000 entries and is around 8mb in
size.

I do a find and replace and want to replace "," with " ".

I have to set it off running last thing at night and let it do it's thing,
it seems to take about 3 hours. Is this normal?

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> I have to set it off running last thing at night and let it do it's thing,
> it seems to take about 3 hours.  Is this normal?

Well, it is Vista we're talking about here. It tends to have a
dilation effect on the time it takes to do stuff. ;-)

Seriously, I'd think it would happen much more quickly than that, but
then again, I don't know that anyone could accuse Wordpad of being the
most well written program out there.

If it's a CSV file that you're editing, why not use a spreadsheeting
program or similar to revise it? (OpenOffice is a popular choice that
doesn't cost a dime, although you can also use the lesser known
Gnumeric spreadsheet, which does have a Windows build.)

William
From: Justin Credible on

"William R. Walsh" <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Well, it is Vista we're talking about here. It tends to have a
> dilation effect on the time it takes to do stuff. ;-)
>
> Seriously, I'd think it would happen much more quickly than that, but
> then again, I don't know that anyone could accuse Wordpad of being the
> most well written program out there.

But better than Notepad; that simply can't handle the operation and crashes
unceremoniously.

> If it's a CSV file that you're editing, why not use a spreadsheeting
> program or similar to revise it? (OpenOffice is a popular choice that
> doesn't cost a dime, although you can also use the lesser known
> Gnumeric spreadsheet, which does have a Windows build.)
>
> William

Well, I need to be able to see the commas if that makes sense? Excel simply
displays the fields as columns (as it should), there's nothing to CTRL-H in
a spreadsheet.

I'm wondering if maybe there's a file/save as option that will allow me to
save the blacklist in the format I need, i.e field 1 = email address, field
2 = serial date with there being a space between field 1 and field 2?

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

"Justin Credible" <matt.finish@>

(so which one is it? ;-) )

> But better than Notepad; that simply can't handle the operation and
crashes
> unceremoniously.

That IS surprising. Could M$ really have borked Notepad that badly? I've
opened some truly unwisely large files (>100 megabyte) in Notepad on WinXP
and prior*. As long as the system had enough RAM to pull this off without an
equally unwise amount of paging/swapping, Notepad would come up for air
eventually.

> Well, I need to be able to see the commas if that makes sense?

Okay. That does make sense.

> I'm wondering if maybe there's a file/save as option that will allow me to
> save the blacklist in the format I need, i.e field 1 = email address,
field
> 2 = serial date with there being a space between field 1 and field 2?

I don't know for sure. I'm not familiar with one, but then again I am not an
Excel wizard (nor do I play one on the TV or computer).

The solution might be a better text editor, and there sure are lots to
choose from...

William

* Only the releases of Notepad that shipped with Windows NT will tolerate
this. The Win 3.1x and Win9x versions will sit on their hands and respond
impudently if you try to open a file larger than 64KB. Those were the
days...