From: Clogwog on
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Clogwog wrote:
>> What's wrong with that?
>> I bought one for my son, very cheap, with an up to date Acronis
>> image on board, Windows XP & Linux Mint "inside" , perfectly legal,
>> all being paid for by the original owner! ( I bet ;-) )
>
> And you trusted the installation as is?
>
> Interesting.

There was no reason to be disappointed, of course I ran Acronis again after
the obvious personal modifications!

From: Homer on
Verily I say unto thee, that ZnU spake thusly:
> In article <8bcuvgFimdU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Homer
> <usenet(a)slated.org> wrote:

>> However, IIRC there was a legal case which upheld a seller's rights
>> to sell used software under First Sale doctrine, seemingly
>> undermining the enforceability of Microsoft's (or indeed any) EULA.
>>

> SoftMan v. Adobe.

That's the one.

> SoftMan was buying boxed "collections" of bundled apps from Adobe,
> and then reselling them individually. Judge ruled this was fine, on
> the basis that software is sold, not licensed (despite vendor claims
> to the contrary), so first-sale doctrine applies.
>
> But this decision was only at the district court level, and didn't
> consider EULA enforceability, because the EULA bound on _use_ and
> SoftMan never installed or used the software. In general, US court
> decisions on this subject are all over the map.

And most other subjects, it seems.

Personally I find the American legal system to be odd in the extreme.

Thankfully I don't need to worry if it's illegal to eat ice cream on a
Sunday in London, but perfectly legal in Glasgow.

--
K.
http://slated.org
From: Shenan Stanley on
Clogwog wrote:
> There was no reason to be disappointed, of course I ran Acronis
> again after the obvious personal modifications!

"Disappointed" would not be what I would say - after all - who knows who has
whatever information you have placed on that machine now.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: VanguardLH on
Justin wrote:

> I bought another Dell D430 without an Operating system off eBay. I
> upgraded the RAM to 2GB. But of course I needed to install Windows. So
> I bought a memory panel with an XP professional COA on it for a whole
> $5, put that panel on the laptop and sold it! It works perfectly.
> So, how horrible a person am I for stealing from Microsoft?
> Should I be purged? Should I turn myself into the Microsoft piracy
> gulag?
> I feel so guilty. But I think I can live with it.

You are asking us to notify Microsoft so they can subpoena ES' logs or
get ES to decode their Cancel-Lock and Injection-Info headers so
Microsoft can find you and prosecute you for piracy of their OS,
especially since you claim in another post you'll be doing it again?

Well, okie dokie, we'll oblige your request. Tis easy 'nuff by visiting
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx.

Original newsgroups:
comp.os.linux.advocacy (*)
comp.sys.mac.advocacy (*)
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
(*) Deleted in my reply.

Oh yes, like we weren't supposed to recognize a troll wanting to flame a
Microsoft newsgroup to proselytize their personal choice of an OS.
From: Justin on
In article <i2sij3$vaa$1(a)news.albasani.net>, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH>
wrote:

> Justin wrote:

> > I bought another Dell D430 without an Operating system off eBay. I
> > upgraded the RAM to 2GB. But of course I needed to install Windows. So
> > I bought a memory panel with an XP professional COA on it for a whole
> > $5, put that panel on the laptop and sold it! It works perfectly.
> > So, how horrible a person am I for stealing from Microsoft?
> > Should I be purged? Should I turn myself into the Microsoft piracy
> > gulag?
> > I feel so guilty. But I think I can live with it.
>
> You are asking us to notify Microsoft so they can subpoena ES' logs or
> get ES to decode their Cancel-Lock and Injection-Info headers so
> Microsoft can find you and prosecute you for piracy of their OS,
> especially since you claim in another post you'll be doing it again?
>
> Well, okie dokie, we'll oblige your request. Tis easy 'nuff by visiting
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx.
>
> Original newsgroups:
> comp.os.linux.advocacy (*)
> comp.sys.mac.advocacy (*)
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> (*) Deleted in my reply.
>
> Oh yes, like we weren't supposed to recognize a troll wanting to flame a
> Microsoft newsgroup to proselytize their personal choice of an OS.

Yer wacky!
w00t!

Check out ebay item number 250669737461.
The trick to getting the COA off the part is to use a hair dryer. Thats
why I always buy COAs that are on metal covers.
A heat gun is too powerful; it tends to melt the plastic stickers and
discolor the paper ones.