From: Justin on
I bought another Dell D430 without an Operating system off eBay. I
upgraded the RAM to 2GB. But of course I needed to install Windows. So
I bought a memory panel with an XP professional COA on it for a whole
$5, put that panel on the laptop and sold it! It works perfectly.
So, how horrible a person am I for stealing from Microsoft?
Should I be purged? Should I turn myself into the Microsoft piracy
gulag?
I feel so guilty. But I think I can live with it.
From: Shenan Stanley on
Justin wrote:
> I bought another Dell D430 without an Operating system off eBay. I
> upgraded the RAM to 2GB. But of course I needed to install
> Windows. So I bought a memory panel with an XP professional COA on
> it for a whole $5, put that panel on the laptop and sold it! It
> works perfectly.
> So, how horrible a person am I for stealing from Microsoft?
> Should I be purged? Should I turn myself into the Microsoft piracy
> gulag?
> I feel so guilty. But I think I can live with it.

You bought a computer off eBay. That's as far as anyone should read.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Hope you sold it for $5.01 kos that's what it was worth.

From: Hadron on
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Justin wrote:
>> I bought another Dell D430 without an Operating system off eBay. I
>> upgraded the RAM to 2GB. But of course I needed to install
>> Windows. So I bought a memory panel with an XP professional COA on
>> it for a whole $5, put that panel on the laptop and sold it! It
>> works perfectly.
>> So, how horrible a person am I for stealing from Microsoft?
>> Should I be purged? Should I turn myself into the Microsoft piracy
>> gulag?
>> I feel so guilty. But I think I can live with it.
>
> You bought a computer off eBay. That's as far as anyone should read.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Whats wrong with that? All my Linux laptops were bought off ebay either
with a Windows restore partition or nothing : and I installed debian
either alone or as dual boot with a newly installed XP from the restore
partition.

It's a great way to get hold of something like a 5 year old thinkpad for
next to nothing and which is easily powerful enough to make a solid
Debian workhorse.

From: Mark Adams on

"Justin" wrote:

> I bought another Dell D430 without an Operating system off eBay. I
> upgraded the RAM to 2GB. But of course I needed to install Windows. So
> I bought a memory panel with an XP professional COA on it for a whole
> $5, put that panel on the laptop and sold it! It works perfectly.
> So, how horrible a person am I for stealing from Microsoft?
> Should I be purged? Should I turn myself into the Microsoft piracy
> gulag?
> I feel so guilty. But I think I can live with it.
> .

<yawn>

Hasn't Microsoft dropped this newsgroup from their servers yet?