From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> On the subject of wiping the hard disk - which appears to have
> taken over this thread, ahem - the only reason I would do this
> is if the computer was overrun with undesired software that
> I can't remove cleanly.

Yes, but one must ask what other settings they may have altered from
the defaults. When I go to configure a system, I find that doing so
through operating system setup is a better starting point, otherwise I
may not get everything that I want to adjust set the way I want it.
And if I overlook something, who knows when it may bite?

None of that is difficult, the latter is just force of habit. And I
realize that only a few potential settings changes are "life or death"
material. I'd certainly be willing to use a Dell preload (on a
business line machine) if time were of the essence and a computer had
to go into place *now*.

Uninstallers have improved a lot in the recent past, and the Windows
Installer is certainly something that has helped. (Although it was
buggy as hell when it first came out, and still has some foibles.)

I'm still moderately of the mindset that if I'm not going to use a
software program in the first that I'd rather not even have it on the
system to start with.

William
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Meaning: "You'll kick yourself for not getting a Mac". ("Mac types"
> are not too bright!)

Now you're just being inflammatory! :-)

I think you'll find that the PC arena has just as many dummies. After
all, haven't any of us who have repaired PCs as a hobby or profession
seen firsthand what clueless people will do to a machine? How many
terrible, pointless programs they will install...etc, etc...after a
while you kind of wonder why these people vote, drive cars, reproduce,
etc...or why they're *allowed* to do so.*

They could do the same to a Mac, but many of them operate on the
reasoning that a $299 PC is no different than a Mac. (I suggest that
it is different, at least in part. There are some aspects of the Mac
OS that are just beautiful to behold and others that make it a serious
pain.**)

William (for the record, I use the machine that does the job and am
fully multiplatform for that reason -- Windows, Linux, a little RS/
6000 with AIX, OS/2, and even Macintosh have their places here)

* I know that sounds rude, but I'm sure it's a thought that anyone who
has ever done systems administration, IT stuff or computer repair has
had.

** Install something like Mac OS X 10.5 on a Firewire external hard
drive. Notice that it can be moved to a wide variety of systems and
booted, whether PPC or Intel. Cool, huh? You bet. On the other hand,
the HOME/END keys on the keyboard don't do what they *should* and
*damn*...it annoys me!
From: Daddy on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Meaning: "You'll kick yourself for not getting a Mac". ("Mac types"
>> are not too bright!)
>
> Now you're just being inflammatory! :-)
>
> I think you'll find that the PC arena has just as many dummies. After
> all, haven't any of us who have repaired PCs as a hobby or profession
> seen firsthand what clueless people will do to a machine? How many
> terrible, pointless programs they will install...etc, etc...after a
> while you kind of wonder why these people vote, drive cars, reproduce,
> etc...or why they're *allowed* to do so.*
>
> They could do the same to a Mac, but many of them operate on the
> reasoning that a $299 PC is no different than a Mac. (I suggest that
> it is different, at least in part. There are some aspects of the Mac
> OS that are just beautiful to behold and others that make it a serious
> pain.**)
>
> William (for the record, I use the machine that does the job and am
> fully multiplatform for that reason -- Windows, Linux, a little RS/
> 6000 with AIX, OS/2, and even Macintosh have their places here)
>
> * I know that sounds rude, but I'm sure it's a thought that anyone who
> has ever done systems administration, IT stuff or computer repair has
> had.
>
> ** Install something like Mac OS X 10.5 on a Firewire external hard
> drive. Notice that it can be moved to a wide variety of systems and
> booted, whether PPC or Intel. Cool, huh? You bet. On the other hand,
> the HOME/END keys on the keyboard don't do what they *should* and
> *damn*...it annoys me!

But can a Mac survive a trip through the dishwasher?

Daddy
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> But can a Mac survive a trip through the dishwasher?

Heh.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/stories.htm#rs023

Look at sub-entry #3.

William
From: Daddy on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> But can a Mac survive a trip through the dishwasher?
>
> Heh.
>
> http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/stories.htm#rs023
>
> Look at sub-entry #3.
>
> William

Unless he actually watched a cat commit the deed, I wonder how the
author was able to determine the provenance of the urine?

This reminds me of the time I went to the hardware store to look for a
way to stop the local wildlife from toppling my trash can. I was advised
to spend ten bucks on a bottle of fox urine, the scent of which
apparently dissuades other animals.

I decided against investing $10 in this solution, because of some basic
questions for which I could not find answers:
1- How do I know this is really /fox/ urine?
2- It's somebody's job to go around with a bottle and wait for a fox to pee?
3- What does this person do if it's almost the end of the month and they
haven't filled enough bottles to meet their quota?

Daddy