From: S N on
I am running SQLServerExpress on my desktop PC having IIS on Windows XP SP3.
I want to login to the SQL server through the ASP pages and access the
database for displaying the results on ASP pages.
I tried creating the connection string using the UDL editor with
1.) Use Windows NT Integrated Security:
The connection string as designed by the UDL editor is as below:

[oledb]
; Everything after this line is an OLE DB initstring
Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
Info=False;Initial Catalog=adminSQLServerDatabase;Data
Source=127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS

The Test Connection from within the UDL editor gives message of success for
the above connection string.
However, when we copy the above connection string inside an ASP page, the
connection fails giving an error message.

2. ) When we use the option of "USE a specific user name and password"
inside the UDL editor, then we get error message- "Test connection failed
because of an error in initialising provider. Login failed for user 'sa'."
The error message continues even if we use the default internet guest user
account for the UDL editor.
Further, if we use the connection string string of this scenario, the
connection fails in the ASP page.

Please advise on how to connect to the database from inside the ASP pages
using suitable connection string. Also advise if OLEDB is the way to go?

From: Ken Schaefer on
Hi,

What is the error in scenario 1?

Cheers
Ken

From: Dan on

"S N" <uandme72(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> I am running SQLServerExpress on my desktop PC having IIS on Windows XP
> SP3.
> I want to login to the SQL server through the ASP pages and access the
> database for displaying the results on ASP pages.
> I tried creating the connection string using the UDL editor with
> 1.) Use Windows NT Integrated Security:
> The connection string as designed by the UDL editor is as below:
>
> [oledb]
> ; Everything after this line is an OLE DB initstring
> Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
> Info=False;Initial Catalog=adminSQLServerDatabase;Data
> Source=127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS
>
> The Test Connection from within the UDL editor gives message of success
> for
> the above connection string.
> However, when we copy the above connection string inside an ASP page, the
> connection fails giving an error message.

What account is IIS running under? If it's the IUSR_ account, then you need
to give permissions to that account to access SQL Server Express.

> 2. ) When we use the option of "USE a specific user name and password"
> inside the UDL editor, then we get error message- "Test connection failed
> because of an error in initialising provider. Login failed for user 'sa'."
> The error message continues even if we use the default internet guest user
> account for the UDL editor.

Which suggests either the sa account is disabled in some way, or you have
used the wrong password. During installation if you don't provide a password
for the sa account then a random password is generated and the sa account is
disabled, you need to re-enabled it using T-SQL.

> Further, if we use the connection string string of this scenario, the
> connection fails in the ASP page.

Which is expected because it doesn't work even when running from an
authenticated Windows account as you proved from the UDL editor.

> Please advise on how to connect to the database from inside the ASP pages
> using suitable connection string. Also advise if OLEDB is the way to go?

Check all permissions on the IIS user account.

Personally I would look into the SQL Native Client if you're only connecting
to SQL Server Express.

Also check that the TCP/IP protocol for SQL Server has been enabled, and
that the SQL Server Browser is running.

--
Da